What is a good tow behind vacuum?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by instyle, Jan 17, 2006.

1. instyle

instyle LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

I am going to be using a stand on quick trac, there are currently no baggers for this model. I plan to use a tow beind bagger. What are some names of these? Price is important.
  2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

How often do you need one and for how big an area? For large areas durring overseeding here the schools just leased turf vacs. Most were old Graveleys. Not sure they even make them anymore but there were other companies too like Goosen and another company that was owned by Textron but I can't recall their name.
  3. instyle

from Canada

I will need to have them almost all of the time. Since I won't have any bagger option I will want to bag leaves and grass. I looked at the cyclone vac. It looks real good....still $1000. Which isn't too bad but.........I wanna make sure I have no other options.
  4. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

5. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

I've used a Cyclone Rake for about four years now without any problems. It will hold about a cubic yard of grass/leaves. I put mulching blades on my old homeowner Craftsman lawn tractor (started out this was just going to be just for my property). I now dedicte this setup for leaf removal and fall/spring cleanups. Works pretty well except, as I'm finding out this fall, nothing works on wet stuff.
    I paid more than the $1000 you mentioned, but you may be able to pick up a used one. They aren't for everyone or every task.

6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe this is sidetracking this thread, but ....

I saw a Cyclone Vac on a flatbed pickup a couple of days ago. We have had some very unusually warm days in SW PA, and some of us have been out cleaning out beds, either jobs not getting done in December, or early start for March. While driving by a small office complex with a huge assortment of beds, trees, bushes, etc, I saw three-man crew cleaning out beds. They were using a backpack under bushes, small trees, etc, and then using a Cyclone Vac to pick up the debris. It was sitting on a flatbed pickup, with the pickup hose extending off to the side. One man was using it as a wand to clear the debris blown out with the backpack blowers.

Does anybody else use this kind of arrangement, using it as a stand-alone unit? The hopper is pretty small, but for smaller jobs, the 1 cu yd hopper is enough. Would it be a time-saver over tarps? I doubt it. Is it powerful enough to pickup open debris, unlike debris coming from the discharge chute of a mower. Obviously, it isn't a 20hp leaf loader, but it may be useful used in lesser volume applications.

Any thoughts?
  7. instyle

from Canada

A buddy of mine mounted the engine from the Cyclone to his truck and only uses the hose as a truck loader. He said his 7hp will out suck a 16hp. It is all in the impeller.
  8. scaper27

scaper27 LawnSite Member

Giant vac 16 Hp
  9. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Ok, wait a minute here... You have a Quick Track, which is a STAND ON mower like a Wright stander, and you want to PULL a large lawn vac to pick up grass clippings???

Accelerator makes catchers for the Quick Tracks for grass. A buddy of kmine had one just last summer here. I don't think ANY powered tow behind catcher system is going to work on a stander type mower.

http://www.proteroinc.com/vacs_230-232.htm This is the Protero vac for walkbehinds, but there would be nowhere to put it on a stander.
  10. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I was thinking the same thing also, was trying to picture how that could possibly work.