What is a good vac system for a Lazer Z?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ProLandscapes, Oct 11, 2003.

1. ProLandscapes

ProLandscapes LawnSite Member

I have been looking into these. What do you think and have any of you had any experience with them? Some of the ones I have been looking into are:

Peco Vac 12 w/ B&S 5.5hp motor

Bluebird w/ B&S 5.5hp motor

Ultra vac from Exmark

Which one is the best and what are the pros and cons of each?

JT

2. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know about any of the ones you mentioned, but I just bought an Ultra Vac for my new 60" lazer on Saturday. Getting it installed on this Thursday and will let you know how it goes.

3. ProLandscapes

Hope it works for you.

JT

4. Mowmyyard

Mowmyyard LawnSite Member

I used a 13 bushel Ultrac Vac last year. It worked great, the one down side was that every 4 minutes I had to get off and dump all three bags. Just received my Cyclone Rake, haven't tried it yet but am looking forward to it.

5. MY PUPPY

MY PUPPY LawnSite Member
    from mass.

I use the ultra vac on my 52" Exmark HPs and they work great for me.

6. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

THe Ultrav Vac is a well built system and works well. It's shortcoming is that the bags fill so quickly as mentioned above.(in less than 5 minutes)
    If you can dump at the street, it makes short work of an avg size property. But if you have a big property, it takes forever. The small size of the Z's dont allow the bags to be any bigger then they already are. If I did alot of leaves I would invest in something similar to a TracVac

7. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

I used a Blue Bird w/6hp Kohler on my Toro 150 for three years, disadvantages I found are the additional weight bar needed to hold the front of the Z down, an additional motor to maintain, lots of motor and turbine noise and difficult to remove and install for one person. On the plus side the unit does a fine job of sucking up and reducing the leaves as they pass through the turbine.
    Ultra Vac - this is the first year, have had it on and off about a dozen times this summer (requests for bagging) so I cant give a real evaluation at this point because it is new and I haven't had it in leaves yet, I know the ultra will not reduce the leaves as the turbine is just a blower that facilitates pushing the material from the mower deck to the bags but that is OK since it will not be my primary leaf removal tool (just clean up).

BobR

8. NYRookie

NYRookie LawnSite Member

I have used the Ultra-Vac for 2 years on my Z and I love it. It picks up leaves very well in my opinion. It actually does mulch down the leaves pretty good. But like a couple of guys already said, you empty about every 5 min. I have actually had people pay me more than what I told them because they were so impressed with their yard. It is the only thing I use to pick up leaves with, and that occasional rake thing.

9. ProLandscapes

I am seriously considering a Peco Vac. They have the dump from the seeat setup and I bet that impeller chops things up good. If I got a debris loader on one of my dumps I could just dump the grass near the truck and suck it up. Has anyone tried the Peco Vac and if so, how well does it work?

Josh

10. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

I just ordered the UV too.

Another option you might want to look at is a Protero. They dump from the seat , and are spindle driven.