1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what is a good wb mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dougmartin2003, Aug 24, 2003.

1. dougmartin2003

dougmartin2003 LawnSite Senior Member

what would be a good brand and a good size wb to buy. im am looking for something that would mostly be used on hills that i wouldnt take my ztr on
  2. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

If you are going to take to the hills go with a wright stander they are the shortest widest mower there is. I have demoed one but not on hills but it makes sense to me.
  3. mrbenfer

mrbenfer LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Well the size of the deck doesn’t matter. Obviously you would want to get a deck that isn’t too small for what you are mowing but isn’t too big that it won’t fit through obstacles on your properties. I know that exmark w/b are great in all conditions. I have a Toro Tbar belt and it works fine on the hills.

Those grasshopper ztr’s are great on hills I hear.
  4. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Scag 36" if you have gates to contend with w/sulky
  5. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I have a Scag 48 belt drive that I use on hilly lots. I don't have any lots with gates to go through so the 48 inch deck is OK. If you have gates go through then a 36 would be better.
  6. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

I have 48" scag belt drive,it will do hills my turf tiger could never do.
  7. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 48" Scag belt drive.... works great on hills..... but I would much rather have a Hydro.... especially on hills........Much easier and safer.

If no small gates (my 48" can be maneuvered through a 45" gate) or really tight obstacles, go with the 48", unless props are small, then 36"

Demo, Demo, Demo!!!

I would demo both a hydro, and a belt drive, just so you can see the pros and cons of each, before you buy and possibly wonder if you should have bought the other.
  8. dougmartin2003

thanks for the info guys. i have no gates to worry about so size wouldnt be an issue. but i dont wont to spend a fortune on one right now so im thinking something small like a 42" or something like that. maybe a exmark
  9. dougmartin2003

another question is wicth would be better or should i say be more reliable a belt drive, gear drive or hydro
  10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

You want a dual drive hydro, preferably the largest deck you can get. Check out Ferris, eXmark, Hustler, and some others.