What is a Gravely Promaster 30H worth?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by want2be, Feb 1, 2008.

1. want2be

want2be LawnSite Member

As you can probably tell, I am new to this site. I mostly keep up with my own yard (1 1/2 acre), and a near by relative (5 acres). I will pick up some overflow lawns from a friend in the business once and a while. I am looking to get something larger than my 42" garden tractor (a toy, I know). Locally there is 1992 Gravely Promaster 30H with only 724 hrs. It looks to be in good shape, and I am told it is a one owner machine. Asking price is @ $2000, is this a good deal, or am I looking for trouble? It comes with trailer, but no other accessories.

2. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

New they were about $11K. With a 60" deck, it would be fine for larger yards. It would be too large for smaller ones and if it had the 72" deck, overkill on all but the largest yards. If in good running condition and well maintained, the price is in line with its value. Most of the machines in that size range were used by cities, golf courses and such. I'd want to look at its maintenance history if you could.

3. want2be

want2be LawnSite Member

Thanks so much. This one has a 60" deck, and according to the owner he used it to mow on his 17 acre farm in West Centeral FL. We have not discussed his maint records, but the unit appears to have been kept inside, and the engine is very clean and there are no signs of any leaks, or extensive work.

4. GravelyNut

I'd say go for it if you can see it run and check it out. Sure would beat the price of a new Gravely Rapid XZ. I use a ProMaster 20-G with the 60" deck for the yard here ( about 2 acres ) and the 60" is a good size to work with. I like the decks out front for cutting. Last cut on the yard here may be with a borrowed/demo Rapid XZ before we move north.

5. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Those Pro master out front units were built extremely well.
    Some of them even came with an Onan twin cylinder engine, you didn't mention what was in the one you are looking at though.
    I would check the spindles and spindle bearing for looseness but a good thing about these older units is they were made to maintain easily - most, if not all, you can do yourself.
    Check the deck for seam separation as mowing the coarse sand based turf sites common in Florida can easily abrade the seams on the deck making a welding repair necessary.
    $2000 is the absolute tops for this machine not needing any type of repairs.
    Also check the pulleys for being slightly out of true as they will eat expensive belts in a hurry.

6. want2be

want2be LawnSite Member

I am told that it is a 3 cyl diesel (Name Unknown). The deck does have some signs of rust thorough at the front edge. As for the spindles, bearing and trueness of the pulleys; I will definitely look at them. I only got one up close "look", and the owner want not there for me to take a test run. My guess is that from where it sits, not many people know what it is. It has been for sale for at least 2 mos, in its present location. With all the good feedback, and suggestions, I will be making a more serious inquiry this week. Thanks,

7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Gravely does not have many parts for that machine anymore. Engine parts supplies could be worse, depending on what engine it has. You are looking at a money pit here. Do not give more than $750.00 or so for it. I am a Gravely dealer and personally would not take one in on trade at any price.

8. GravelyNut

Diesel should be a Yanmar.

9. GravelyNut

Well I guess I'll have to eat my words from last year. It won't be a borrowed unit. It will be ours. These are with the 52" deck on it.

MVC-909F.JPG

MVC-910F.JPG

MVC-911F.JPG

10. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I believe I see a mowing deck for a Gravely two wheel tractor setting there. What model of old Gravely tractor do you have?