what is a great efficient setup?? 36" walkbehind, 2 60" Z's. opinions please!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by DillonsLawnCare, Sep 26, 2007.

1. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

hi, im trying to figure out a great setup for lawncare. ive got a 52" walkbehind. i was thinking about a 60" z, my 52" walkbehind, and a 36" and maybe a 21". so i can do every lawn without losing business. would this be good. or should i switch them up or what.:confused: :confused:

need some advice from some pros. thanks

:usflag:

2. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I think it really depends on what you mow. I would have no use for a 60" ZTR. My yards are too small and have too many hills.
    A guy who mows big open properties would have no use for my 48" Quik Trak and 36"wb. He would need a couple of 60" Z's or bigger.
    So what is your typical property?

3. DillonsLawnCare

well. i mow anywhere from a 1/4 acre to 2 acres. mostly larger properties, but ive turn a few yards down cause i dont have a 36" to fit into their gate... then i feel my 52" walkbehind is too small for these 1 acre, 2 acre + jobs.

4. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Well, if I were mowing properties as large as two acres, I would get a big ZTR. Probably a 60" at least. For the small yards, a 36" would be the right size. If you are solo, then the 60" Z, the 36"wb, and a 21" for really little tight stuff. I would probably trade in the 52" wb...dont really need it with the Z.
    If you run a crew, then maybe two 60" Z's and one 36" wb. I dont know if that helps much...but thats what I would do.

5. Sharp Services

Sharp Services LawnSite Senior Member

I do mostly mid sized and smaller yards. At the present I mostly mow with a 36 walk behind and a 21 to get thru those old small gates on my in town propertys. Next summer I am adding a 48 zero and I think I should be set.

6. DeepMudRancher

DeepMudRancher LawnSite Member

i mow a yard that is about three acres....me and a friend on 48in WB's....its not bad. Keep your 52, set a date aside to mow your big ones and start early. Then buy a 36 and do your small properties.....Just make sure the 36 will fit into the smaller properties......i know i couldnt get a 36 through some of the gates on my yards....thats where the toro 21in comes in handy...haha

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Simplicity rules, to me less is better.
    Somedays I still load both machines, but everything seems so much easier with just one or the other, I have 48" and a 60"
    So the days I got the bigger lots I load the 60"
    The rest I use the 48" for.

Then it seems the more prep goes into it, the less time the whole day takes.
    So, I plan it all out first, to the point I have the route in my head. I like to take extra time to map out my day before I leave the house, prevents doubling back and long hauls from a-to-b somewhat, all of this helps.

Now since I have those 1/4 acre to acre+ lots, too.
    Best way I found is schedule lots by size, then load up the corresponding mower and hit it. Gets a bit tricky scheduling by size, day of cut, and ducks in a row, but I play with that until I get what I feel is the perfect daily combination. It could mean moving a lawn ahead by a day and another falls back a day, or two, it's not a big deal to me until we get into 3-4 days.

So if customers act puzzled, I explain to them how it works, most can see it and are not worried. I do get a few customers like to come running out act like I'm trying to get that one last cut out of them, but it's really not like that. A day here, another there, whatever, no favoritism or stupid games, just what works best for the business, what it's all about.

It's all that doubling back used to kill me, ooops left the schedule at home, now it's no problem if I have the route memorized.
    All planned out, basically.

8. petekief

petekief LawnSite Senior Member

i have a 48" wb (hydro) a 60" Z and a 21" push mower - I load them all and use them all - My largest Parcel is 5 acres / my smallest are 1/4 acre - when the 48" dies (it's a 94' cub commercial) i will replace it with a 36" belt drive and try to lose the 21 - 36" hydro would be nice but belt will do for as little as i need it - ride when you can - walk when you have to - that 60" will get almost everything

9. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

I have a hydro 48" WB, and a 52" Z. WB is good for hills and smaller property's and is great on gas, Z is fast and nice on larger property's. I have two property's where they are working together 3 plus acres in 40 mins. and on to the next. I would like to get a 60" Z but what i have will do. Not to many gates around here to worry about a smaller WB.

10. DillonsLawnCare

how do you guys keep up with your lawns since some of you have 20+ or 100+ lawns. when do you know when they need to be cut. do the customers call you and say "hey its time" or do you just drive out there hoping that its ready.??? im only 15 so im not driving yet. when i do, i wanna be prepared, so next seaon im going to make enough money to buy a car and a Zero Turn and possibly a 36". and if im lucky ill get a 21".

so how do you do it?

thanks for all the input so far!