1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What is a "lowballer"???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by parkwest, Mar 17, 2002.

1. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

Noticed a lot of threads lately using the terms "lowballer" and "scrub" interchangeably.

Traditionally, a "lowballer" was a contractor who knew what he was doing by taking advantage of a person by giving a low bid, then coming back later after the job was started, saying there is going to be additional cost to do the job that wasn't included in his original bid.

A "scrub" on the other hand, is someone who undercharges because of ignorance or lack of experience. He's the one who thinks, since his mower is paid for, he no longer has any expenses. He can't figure out why everyone else is so stupid that they can't operate their business on 100% net profit margin like he does. He has "been in business for 15 years" yet is only 21 y.o. He tells people sharpening blades is a waste of time because dull blades cut just as good. He doesn't have a clue what CPA stands for. And thinks that at age 21 knows everything there is to know about running a business.

Is there any other terms that should be included in a glossary on this site?
  2. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

Down here we call them "Cowboys"
  3. You are correct.
  4. kerr lawn

kerr lawn LawnSite Member

i think you did some sterotyping to say that all 21 say they know how to run their business. That is why i get up every mourning, because i have no idea sometimes who i will talk to and what i will learn. Some days it is the same s*** different day. Other days i fall asleep at nite going damm i learned a lot, i was glad to be around for it.
    But please have respect for us younger people that are just learning how the world turns, because the text books lied to us. It is yours and my's future and your kids, so rather than put us down for being stupid. Help us out, because it is a lot easy to be nice to someone than be that person's enemy. To be old and wise, i must first be young and stupid.

sharpening blades is the best money and time spent
    CPA=Certified Public Accoutant
  5. Kerr, he was not referring to you.
  6. kerr lawn

i don't care
    it just make me mad, because since i went commericial 5 years ago i eat,live, and sleep this stuff. For somebody to come out and say something like that is not cool. As i tell my guys when they first get hired were all in it together, just trying to make some money, if you want to be a d*** tell me now so then you can walk home.
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with everything you said Parkwest with one exception...scrubs come in all ages, shapes, and forms.
  8. kerr lawn

thank you rodfather
  9. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

We see scrubs in all forms. Many think, "Hey, if he can run a business, why can't I." So when they get laid off, pissed off a their boss or can't land a job, they figure they'll start a business. Heck, that's what the rest of us did, right? We didn't really choose to go into business for ourselves, we were forced into since we couldn't get jobs elsewhere.

Scrubs will typically make a decision made out of weakness, not strength.
  10. mxrdrvr3

mxrdrvr3 LawnSite Member

Hi guys,

I am kind of siding with Kerr on this one, I spend a couple of hours a day on this site just reading the wealth of info here and its great. This info has helped me tremendously and at the same time has me really wondering!

I am starting my lawncare biz this season part time, I have my Licence, insurance, my equip, my accounting software, biz phone,have paid for advertizing ect ect.........the list goes on!

I have done all my figures and know what it will cost me to operate and complete job A or job B. I also plan to charge accordingly at the current rate most other LCO'S are charging as not to hurt the industry around me, so that means I will have a higher profit than some and not as high as some. I will lose jobs to "competitors" because I am bidding on the "fair" market value for the job. If I bid on a job and my price is fair and what I belive is correct and includes my costs to operate and a profit and its lower than yours I guess all I can say is tuff ****, get over it thats bizz.

I am not here to lowball or to be a scrub, however based on many of the posts that have been flying around here the past couple of weeks on this subject people and YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!!!!! say part timers are scrubs and low ballers and young kids blah blah blah. I am only 25 Had 4 kids by the time I was 23 , I am married, Own a home, I have car payments just like everyone else does. But because I am young guy some people assume that us "kids" that are wet behind the ears still are stupid. I would refer to it as Inexperianced, so what you were there when u started out also and you learn through your mistakes (I learned from the school of hard knocks myself)try to learn from others and DONT FORGET WHERE YOU CAME FROM!!!!

There are alot of great guys on this site like lawngodfather,65hoss, Lawn lad and many many many others, that have been a tremendous help to me and I am sure that they dont even know they helped me but they give such great info that helps not only the "new" guy but the "seasoned" guy as well. I think that all the good guys here and you know who you are deserve a standing ovation(spelling) for the services they bring to us all on this site. If I were to call a fellow LCO in my area they sure as hell wouldnt tell me all the info I learned here.

To sum it all up I just feel like even though I am following all the proper channels to operate a biz legally,honestly,productively,and have competitive prices, I feel like I am a lowballer or scrub in some of the peoples eyes here because I am young, just starting out, going at it part time and it bothers me(not enough to loose any sleep over...lol). I have seen here in a post that I would be considered a scrub just because I am parttime , Honestly I dont think its fair and people who think that are probobly the ones hurting because they didnt have a good bizz plan or follow through with it, have way to much overhead such as new trucks trailers equipment(not that there is anything wrong with that if you can afford it all) and cant operate at the cost it takes them to operate per hour. They got there self into trouble getting all that new equipment and now are having a tuff time because of the competition getting new customers to pay for it all, they are looking to blame someone for their mistakes so why not blame the new guy for wanting a piece of the pie too!!!!(only a theory) well I have much more to say but this reply is already to long sorry guys I feel much better now getting some of it off my chest.