what is a real # of lawn accounts for a solo operator?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by tropical breeze, Oct 16, 2009.

1. tropical breeze

tropical breeze LawnSite Member

I am looking to start up in the next few weeks. I know not the best time of year but I live in Florida and there is always something to do in peoples yards. Also looking at rentals and bank owned homes. Hopefully this will get me by. Question about how many accounts on average can a solo get the 1st year ?

2. CkLandscapingOrlando

CkLandscapingOrlando LawnSite Senior Member

10-20 houses a day here. 15 is a safe number for me. zero lot line probly 30 if next to each other

3. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I had about ten during my first season. I'm around 37 now though.

4. 1st class grass

1st class grass LawnSite Member
    from wyoming

I would say first year 25 to 30 per week is very obtainable....

5. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

It depends on what you are doing. If your just a grass chopper...then it depends on size and route density....50 -100 if your the cheap guy. If you actually take care of properties..then it would be closer to 15-25. Gl though if you plan on mowing 100 per week and think you wont ever get hurt or sick. When I started out solo....I made condiderably more profit maintaining 20 houses than the guys mowing 100 houses. My fuel bill alone was prob 10-25% of what there's was. More importantly...My billing clock ran most of the day...very little travel time

6. DynaMow

DynaMow LawnSite Senior Member

he is not asking how many he can do his first year.

He is asking how many to expect to get. Still a quite broad question.

It all depends on how much you get your name out there. The more the marketing the more the contacts. The more the contacts, the more quotes. The more the quotes, the more the work.

How are you getting your name out to the public? Classifieds, website, radio, TV, friends, word of mouth, family etc.... How many do you want to get?

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Obviously, you want customers.
    I realize you want to hear a realistic number, but what I can tell you is you
    don't want to shoot for any specific number, that is, just do a good job and
    let the pieces fall into place on their own some.

The more you try and get a certain amount of customers, the harder it gets
    and you'll only end up compromising yourself, the thing is we all start out with 1.

That having been said, there's no telling, at the end of your first year you might have as few as 20 as many as 200...

It all depends, whether you want the full service customer of which you'll be
    able to accommodate less numbers, or whether you prefer the mow and blow
    type (of which you can service a greater quantity).

Again I say just let it kind of fall into place, don't try too hard to get
    someplace other than just do a good job.

8. Morningside

Morningside LawnSite Member

I was able to get forty to fifty different customers my first year. word of mouth no advertising. all withen 10 miles of eachother. as a solo i could do anywhere from 8-9 to 12-13 a day depending on location, lot size and which mower i used. heat of summer would slow me down as well as doing the best job possible. quality takes more time and effort, and i suggest you stress quality over quantity. people recommend your services to others based on quality not on how fast you work. the quantity will come if you stress quality work now. tuck your shirt in and shave because nobody respects someone who doesnt respect themselves.

9. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

this is the biggest BS i have heard. 1st year no advertising 40-50 clients? hahaha

10. jemvai

jemvai LawnSite Member
    from CT

YUP no advertising and 40 to 50 first year? BS!!! I got 28 my first year, with 1250 door hangars and an ad running 13 weeks in two different places.