What is a reasonable expectation?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DavidATL, Apr 24, 2000.

1. DavidATL

DavidATL LawnSite Member

I am just starting out as a one man operation and am wondering what the average number of lawns that I could expect to perfrom weekly maintenance in an 8 hour day? Most of my lawns are bermuda and I am finding myself having to catch clippings right now with a 21" self propelled mower that is taking me roughly an hour and a half per lawn. I have a 36" Bobcat that I plan to use later without catching. Or, should I consider a catcher for the Bobcat? On an average lawn of 7,500 square feet or more, I would be interested in learning how many lawns you guys could do in a day as a one-man show. At what point to I holler "uncle" and get a helper?

2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Too many variables too little info (i.e. drive time between stops, different size lawns with different requirements). I would say you could "shoot" for 10-15 lawns a day at 7,500 square feet with a 36". What would you be charging? Here in SE PA I can get anywhere from $30-40/cut for a 7,500 square foot yard, especially using a 36" which many people want. I just explain to them if they want the smaller mower they have to pay more $$$.

3. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Scraper, how do you manage 10-15 a day by yourself? Are you edgeing, trimming, blowing, the whole 9? I've asked this question before, how many lawns a day, me and 1 helper got 12 the other day and 10 for 2 days in a row, I can't see getting 15 with 2 people unless they were side by side!<p><br>Homer

4. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Homer: I'd say closer to 10 for me although I have one neighborhood which I have 8 houses in a row. That takes me the better part of a day. I'll start cutting at 8 and finish at around 6 each day. Never stop for lunch...always eat on the drive between stops. Of course I do the whole 9 (edge, trim, mow and blow). I figure a 7500 square footer takes about 40 minutes solo. Back when I used to work for someone else, I ran a two man crew and we would average 70-80 lawns a week. Granted some were small. We had 2-36&quot; WB's.<p>How big are your lawns? Like I said in response to DavidATL. Too many varaiables to have any way of putting a number of lawns possible a day.

5. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I would imagine most of mine are 10,000 to 15,000 sq. ft. We don't have many small yards here. With 2 men and 2 of everything including mowers, we average 30 to 35 minutes per stop. I just can't break out of that 10-12 per day thing.........I constantly hear others saying they get 15 - 20 a day and wonder how they do it. All I can think is they are small garden home sized lawns and they are stacked together!<p>Homer

6. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Me and 1 other guy did 72 lawns one day. All residential single family homes, 7,000 sq. ft. average. Didn't edge. <p>Quality? Um, well it was a long time ago...

7. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

Most my partner and I cut in a day was 33 I think. Same average size as Lazer. Had one 36&quot; WB and two 21&quot; Hondas. We did all the trimming and blowing and it was September and we were behind because of rain and an employee who bailed on us. <p>Personally I'd stack myself against anyone in North America as far as speed of cutting and quality...don't know how the hell you did 72 Lazer!<p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>www.cutntrim.com

8. turnkey

turnkey LawnSite Member

72 lawns in one day..wow!!!!!! thats 6 lawns in an hour working a 12 hr day.not counting travel time etc etc. u were really mowing....never heard that many being mowed in a day.

9. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not saying I was proud of the quality!<p>I used a Groundsmaster 72&quot;, which we normally used for commercial only. The Bunton walk-behind was down and we were way behind from rain ealier in the week.<p>I was determined to finish that week, so off we went. I mowed the lawns, my guy followed with the trimmer and blower. Since most of the properties were fairly close, I just drive the Groundsmaster down the street to the next lawn.<p>12 hours later we had cut the most I've ever done with only 2 people.

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I had my biggest day yet last Wednesday. It had rained Monday and Tuesday so I had a little catching up to do. I did 10 by myself, trimming, edgeing, blowing and cutting. They varied in size from 1-1/2 acre to 1/8 acre. 11 hours. Pack up and move between each job. Gravely 50&quot; and Exmark 36&quot;.