What is a Red Spirea

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by gumby1, Sep 25, 2003.

1. gumby1

gumby1 LawnSite Member

I have a customer that wants me to plant Red Spireas. I am sure that is not what they are called. From what I understand they have dark red leaves. I have searched and have not found any spireas that have a dark red leaf. The closest I have found is a Neon Flash Spirea. Do any of you know any thing else that they might want? Please let me know.

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Gold flame spireas maybe?

3. gumby1

gumby1 LawnSite Member

This customer has gold flames already it must be something else

4. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

He probably wants a red leaf barberry.

5. gumby1

gumby1 LawnSite Member

I will check on the barberry but they were really sure it is a spirea

6. ladibugg

ladibugg LawnSite Member

"Atrosanguinea"
    Long leafed spiraea dark red blossoms with obvious reddish orange foliage. 36" wide x 24" tall. Does well in drought, wants good drainage. Extended flowering season. Fall colors are dramatic.

7. gumby1

gumby1 LawnSite Member

I checked out the Atrosanguinea, This is a potentella not a spirea and the leaves are not dark red in color. I am almost sure they are talking about something else but I am going to keep looking

8. ladibugg

ladibugg LawnSite Member

You are right, I just walked back to the yard to see for myself and the leaves are not red, more of a scarlet plum color. But the potentilla that this world ejoys doesn't look anything like a spiraea. It would be hard to mistake the blosooms that are coming on for their second time this year. Spiraea have clusters that don't look anything like single blosoomimg {potenttilla, Rosaceae (Bush cinquefoil, Potenilla)}. I'm suprised you didn't tell me I was spelling them wrong.

9. gumby1

gumby1 LawnSite Member

Please except my appology, I only looked at one picture and it had green leafs. I will search some more and see if your plant will work. Again I just want to say that the customer is asking for a red spirea (leaf not flower). I dont want to say they are wrong so I am looking very hard for a red spirea.

10. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

gumby1,

Get a shrub book and have the customer pick out the plant. I think they have the names mixed up.

Gene