What is a scrub?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brettmc, Feb 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brettmc

brettmc Banned

I did a search and couldn't find a definition for scrub. What is a scrub?

Reason I ask is...I might be one!! I have only 2 mowers, both 6-7 years old, 1 backpack blower bout 3 years old, 1 trimmer bout 7 yrs old (gonna buy a new Shin or Stihl today tho). I work out of an old 1983 Chevy K10. I work part time (computer systems guy full time) and have about 10 accounts (which will hopefully increase after my ad in a local newspaper comes out next week). I don't try to undercut prices cause I'm prolly the most expensive guy in town...I price my lawn maint/landscaping at $40-$50 per hour plus materials. I work clean and smart and have no complaints from my customers, most of which I have had for over 3 years. I'll add 1 or 2 customers every year and drop 1 or 2 a year. Usually the ones that drop off are the ones that ask me to do extra duties and are appalled when I bill them for it. If they cry and moan over having to pay for extra work, they get canned diplomatically. Am I a scrub?

Brett :cool:

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

So what exactly is the point to this? Trying to start something? Trying to make yourself feel better?

This is a pointless thread that will only stir the pot up.

3. clcare

clcare LawnSite Member

I have always considered a scrub someone who does lawn or landscaping part time and tries to underbid and uses beat up equipment that professional's won't.
    These people take work away from kids that I would normally hire for summer help, and are usually pushing snow with a 4 wheeler there customers usualy won't use them for a second year.

4. brettmc

brettmc Banned

I've seen references to "scrub" but don't know what one is and if I would be referred to as one. If I am, it won't change anything cause I'm waaaay past the point of caring what other prople think of me. All I'm lookin for is a simple definition. If you don't like it, go read another post.

Brett :cool:

5. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Good luck Brettmc. Seems that no one wants to say exactly what a scrub is, but use the word as a label or attention getter. The best I figure, "scrub" is enemy #1.
    I asked one time simply where does the word "scrub" come from? Is it abbreviation like"stupid, crappy, underhanded,dumbass"? I simply wanted to know. It was amusing that a couple people responded as if I just shot there dog or something. Its just interesting how that word brings such aggression out of us lawncare guys. Whats up with that? Again, I just simply want to know.

6. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

I never heard the word until I came to this site, but I see them as the guys who drive around pretending that they are a business because they own a lawn mower & trimmer. The ones who don't pay any insurance, workers comp, and can underbid anyone they want. These guys take work from those of us who are proffessionals, and drive the prices down.

That's my two cents worth!

7. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Yes. Simply for asking this question.

8. brettmc

brettmc Banned

Nah, I don't qualify. However, I would try to undercut YOUR prices!!

Brett

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

If you had done a search you would know that there is no simple answer to the question. Different people have different opinions. You would also see that this subject always starts fights. Its never a productive topic, but a destructive one. Based on the responses you have given, that is what you are looking for.

10. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

MY definition of a scrub. IS some that has more work than he can do and still can't afford to buy a new mower.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.