1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What is "A" service vs. "B" service?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dnelmo, Nov 1, 2005.

1. dnelmo

dnelmo LawnSite Member

I apologize in advance if this question has been answered previously. I've been providing lawn service (mowing, fertilizing, cleanup, etc.) on the side for several seasons now. I believe I am at the point where I will begin advertising and do this full time next season.

I have read many threads in this forum noticed the use of "A" and "B" service levels, but I have not seen a concrete definition. What distinguishes between the two? When I mow someone's yard, I either mulch or bag the clippings, weedeat, edge, and sweep. Is that considered the "A" service? If so, what is the "B" service?

Thanks for all the valuable advice and discussions.

2. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

It's whatever you want to make it. You don't have to even do it that way, if you don't want to.

A lot of us just came to realize over the years that there are some customers who just want the basic service (e.g. mow, edge, blow, go) and others who don't mind paying for a more detailed service (e.g. mow, edge, blow, fert., weed control, fall clean-up, prune shrubs, etc.). So we offer 2 service. One that is very basic, and another that is more detailed. And then people get to chose which they want to sign up for. It's not an industry standard or anything. It's just the way some of us have chosen to set things up.
  3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

look, my supermarket sells ground beef, and filet mignon. people who can't afford the good beef, still have to eat. "a" service is filet mignon. "b" service is ground beef. personally, i'll sell my service to anyone who has money to spend
  4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Correct Mr. Lewis.

I'd even go as far as you can perform "A" service against "B" service doing the "services", but depending on the customer, doing it "A" or "B".

If you've got a large wide open field, with trees 200 yards from where 99.9% of the people are, you can probably get by with trimming those trees every other week, instead of every week, no one's going to see them. Level "B".

However, if you've got someone that's a stickler for having EVERYTHING trimmed, EVERY week, then you're going to have to perform "A" service.

This is just one example, but you could use it for anything.
  5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

yup, just like stated above. Some people just want their lawn mowed and they don't care what the end result is, just as long as it is cut, while others want a nice looking lawn.
  6. DynaMow

DynaMow LawnSite Senior Member

When do you find out this information? From your contact interview or first visit (estimate)?
  7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

there is a lot of little factors that play into this such as:

1. they might just tell you up front what they want and am looking for
    2. when someone is looking for a cheap service usually (I don't mean all the time, but usually) they just want "B" service
    3. you should ask them what they are looking for
    4. ask them what they want their lawn to look like
    5. look around at the property, what does it look it...run down?
  8. DynaMow

DynaMow LawnSite Senior Member

my questions was directed toward that answer, I guess one thing I am saying is that I need to do a better job of qualifying them at first contact. Something like this

(Phone call)

Cust: Hi I am looking for somebody to cut my lawn.
    Me: 1)What type of service are you looking for on that lawn?
    2) Are you looking for a full service or a basic service?
    or something like this.

This is something I must do better at first contact so I have more knowledge before ever seeing property. I need to improve on my sales skills.
  9. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

There are many ways to determine what a customer is after, without having to ask them. I like the phone call scenarios.

Caller 1--- "Hi, we just moved into a new home last winter and need landscape maintenance service.

Yes sir, we offer weekly mowing, Bed and shrub maintenance, weed control and fertilization, and also provide landscape design, we would be happy to come by and meet with you.

Caller one will likely sign up for several services if you are good in your presentation.

Caller 2 -- Hi, my mower is broken and my lawn needs to be cut asap.

Yes sir, will this be a one time cut?

We would be happy to take a look and get a price to you very soon.

Caller 2 probably has a lawn that will take three times as long to cut, and it sounds like a one time deal. Price accordingly.

Caller 3 --- Hi, I am looking for a lawn service for the summer. I am calling around and getting bids, I fired my last guy.

Caller 3 is a potential PITA, price accordingly.

I like to take it slowly with new customers at first. I will let them pick and choose what they want us to do. But, I package my services in a way that creates repeat business.

Each customer is a little different, and it is good to make mental notes on what everyone likes and dislikes, and then provide it.
  10. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

I provide the same quality property services to everyone of my customers reguardless. I dont want to have a rep. for shotty work, let that be the other guy.