What is a Vacation???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LakeMurrayLawns, Dec 1, 2004.

1. LakeMurrayLawns

LakeMurrayLawns LawnSite Member

I was wondering how many of the "lone Wolves", aka sole proprieters working full time take a vacation. I've been in the business for a while part time and I'm looking seriously at going full time. My wife asked me this good question "when are you going to take a week off to go somewhere???" I've been able to take some time off during the off season for hunting and fishing when it was cold and the grass was dormant but I was wondering how you scheduled time off with regular contracts during the warmer months for a family type vacation while the kids are out of school???

2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I work solo -- no days off from April 1 to end of November, including the holidays. I don't work Sundays, but the other six days are work days for eight months.

The customers who ask the question in June, "Where are you going on vacation this Summer?" are the same ones who wonder what is happening if I'm a day late in their weekly schedule. Working solo with regular customers is incompatible with vacation time during those eight months.

3. richard coffman

richard coffman LawnSite Senior Member

the winter time is my vation time to do stuff around the house and go some place warm for vacation. Wife and I are going to corpus christi, texas for vacation in february. I do snow plowing, but here in utah, it doesn't snow all the time.

4. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

My vacation time is from 12/20 to 1/5 and then 2 weeks in June or July when we go on a long distance motorcycle ride.

5. KurtisInIowa

KurtisInIowa LawnSite Member

I think what LakeMurryLawns is asking is 'how do you cover your accounts when you are gone' if you are a solo, and want to take vacation during your working season? I think Roger nailed it with his answer of incompatibility (unless you can find someone to fill in)
    (dang good question btw, it's one of the reasons I might have to come up with a solo biz that I can schedule the work, rather than being locked into a schedule)
    ~kurt

6. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I am not a solo but for the time being you may have to take long weekends maybe work ahead get done on Thursday and come back on Tuesday it a tough problem.

7. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

when i was solo i vacationed the first two weeks in feb.

we usually went skiing. we had friends at Vail co. and would usually go there.
    we'd ski breckenridge, keystone, beaver creek and vail.

Boy i miss going out there.
    haven't been in three years now. we've been dong bahamas/mexico cruises.

8. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

Even with several crews it's hard to get away for a regular vacation.
    We (my family) takes a lot of long weekends and am out of town doing something probably 35 weekends a year. About 30k miles a year on the suburban.

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

The Mrs. and I always take vacation off during drought periods. We usually take about 5 days off and go to Cedar Point or go camping. So far, 3 years in a row we have gone to Cedar Point

10. Gautreaux's LNG

Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Senior Member

Buy a camper! I use mine often, during the spring/summer I can't run away for a week so we hitch up the 5th wheel and I take a Friday off. I'm not a solo but still work on the crew quite often. But once November gets here until about February I get plenty of vacation! Catch up on chores!