What is best blades in spring?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by johnnyusa, Apr 4, 2005.

1. johnnyusa

johnnyusa LawnSite Senior Member

Hello everyone im new to site and looking for advice on which is best blades to use during spring. I live in connecticut in the spring it seems for the 1st month or so the lawns are always damp. I cut around 20- lawns 1/2 acre or so and the clumps are all over the place and i spend tons of time raking and blowing off w/ backpack. also the mulch beds are full of clippings on a few lawns because i have to mow between them. I just sold my 48" fixed deck scag and just bought a 52" exmark turf tracer hp w/ floating deck. hope this will help. any advice would be appreciated?

2. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

Meg-Mo's......

3. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

Its looking like its gonna be another wet spring with the grass growing like crazy in Connecticut.Last season we could barely keep up.The only thing that seemed to help was cutting the grass a little higher than you normally would.This year I'm gonna start off with gator mulchers and see how it works out,I'm finding a lot of leaves and stuff in the lawns from the long winter.I have also heard Meg mos work good but also heard mixed reports. its not a big enough problem for me to warrant the cost of meg mo's at the moment.

4. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Bobcat high lifts or meg-mos

5. sgoalie23

sgoalie23 LawnSite Member

I run double high lifts. Seem to work great. Hey, JohnUsa, what part of trumbull are you from. We are located in Monroe!! :waving: :drinkup:

6. lawnrangeralaska

lawnrangeralaska LawnSite Senior Member

extra high lift blades.

7. Cobra Jock

Cobra Jock LawnSite Member

We run high lifts. If the clumps aren't too bad and I initially mowed the lawn at 3 inches, I go over it a second time at 3 1/2 inches. This seems to work out good. Ofcourse, when you mow 6 inch wet winter rye like we do, there is going to be some clumping no matter what blades you run! My.02

Greg

8. rookie03

rookie03 LawnSite Member
    from OK

Gator blades are working really good in my area. Raise the deck some so it won't clump as bad. Smaller yards are easier to double cut in places or blow the clumps. Big lawns just raise the deck and do what you have to do.

9. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

get some mower blades,,,,they work great!

10. Logan's Landscaping

Logan's Landscaping LawnSite Member

I have found the hi lift blades with wet grass make the grass clump more and clog on the underside or the deck. But only thing i can say is if you change your own blades to try hi lift blades one day and then reg. blades next if the conditions are the same and then you will see for yourself. :D