What is Best on Grassy Weeds...?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Lost Pine, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Lost Pine

Lost Pine LawnSite Member

There seems to be a lot of talk about Grassy Weeds here. As everyone know, they are a major pain in the A~~ !

Is there a herbicide that works well on all types of Grassy weeds..?

2. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Yeah: glyphosate.

3. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Be more specific about exactly what "grassy weed" you're talking about.

Fusilade II can handle quite a few of them....but from the timing of your blog (early spring), I'm betting you're talking about some weeds that aren't on the Fusilade II label.

4. Lost Pine

Mostly look like Foxtail, but most people on this site say it's too early for Foxtail...

5. Marcos

That's a really safe bet!

I'm also betting that you don't have a New Jersey pesticide license, am I right ?!?

6. Marcos

Why don't you post a digital pic or two....try to get a regular distance and a "close-up" shot.

7. Lost Pine

8. Marcos

O.K....so this is all a "revamp" of a discussion that took place almost EXACTLY a year ago on this site, HUH ?!?

And you tried the dihydrogen-monoxide thing, and it didn't work ?
    (kidding !!!) :laugh::laugh:

One more question before I guess :
    Are these seedheads consistently coming up all over the yard; or just in "little patches" like the picture from spring 2007 you posted above ?

And you didn't answer my question about the pesticide licensing...
    (I won't "tell"...I promise ! :rolleyes:)

9. Lost Pine

Are these seedheads consistently coming up all over the yard; or just in "little patches" like the picture from spring 2007 you posted above ?

YES ! you've got it ! it miostly comes up in patches (small and large) all over the lawn....
    What's your guess for getting rid of it...?

10. Marcos

Still not certain...

Get down on down hands and knees if you will... and cut out a tiny little piece of this weedy area with a hand trowel or whatever...
    Can you tell if the grassy-weed has a rhizomous-type root system... or not ?

And just wondering...:confused:
    When you did your "spot seeding" work in 2006-2007 or whenever, did you use some type of cheap "hay" (instead of actual STRAW) from someplace ?