1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What is best way to cut through 160ftx10ft area of 5-7 ft high weeds?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green-pa, Jul 19, 2007.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

Heh, what is the best way to remove a large area of brush, say 160ftx10ft if the brush is mainly grass that is 5-7 ft tall and the ground is in a ditch which is a bit wet/swampy in some places but nothing u can't get through with some good boots. Oh, I'm pretty sure it's tall grass. I cut through about 60ft of it and it took me about 4 hours with my line trimmer and hedge trimmer. It took more time picking it up and bagging it than trimming it probably though. I'd bought the saw attatchment for my echo, but it didn't work very well on this stuff. It works better on small trees or wooded weeds here and there, but not a big glom of stuff like tall/thick grasses. The line trimmer and hedge trimmer was doing it, but I'm concerned that i could be damaging the parts or something by using them at such full power for such extended periods. Would a big chain saw be faster or something else perhaps? Or is there another attatchment I'm not aware of for the trimmer? I'd like to just burn it out, but that may be illegal and they didn't give me permission, so that's out. I could attatch pics if necessary, my cam is in the truck though. U guys probably can imagine how it is though.
  2. epheus

epheus LawnSite Member
    from texas

SRM400 with a blade or 3 way quick connect with .150 line, works like a charm.
  3. wooley99

wooley99 LawnSite Senior Member

Rent something like this or keep trimming with heavy line.

4. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

How about 5 gallons of gas and a match? Seriously you need something like a DR Brush mower. Make sure that what you are getting rid of is not considered a "wetland".
  5. Lohse's Lawn Service

Lohse's Lawn Service LawnSite Member
    from US

I'm really not sure what you should use, however, the ideas mentioned above should work. One thing did stick out at me while reading your post. You said you spent more time bagging and picking up the clippings. I hope you charged for that. And I mean a lot. I understand you want your job to look professional when done, but I sure wouldn't be picking up all those clippings free of charge. When grass becomes that tall, clippings should be the least of your worries.

I once mowed a backyard of a customer's, the actual grass was probably a good 2-3 feet tall, but the actual weeds were up to 6 feet tall. Luckily, I knew what was back there and was able to get my ExMark in the back and mowed it several times. Unfortunately, the grass/weeds you are mowing are in a ditch. I was able to go over the clippings to make the yard looked like I bagged the clippings. Hope the job you are doing is worth your time. I'd like to be compensated for 4 hours worth of work. Think of how many nice, green, easy yards you could've done in that amount of time!
  6. MeadowsLawnCare

MeadowsLawnCare LawnSite Member

rent a brush cutter add the price in your bid. A lot of them can cut down 2" trees also.
  7. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I quoted him $390 ( and minus $40, which is my 10% referal discount). However, I think it should have been over $500! Maybe today it won't be so bad, but out in the full sun with no shade, it's just a hell hole.....lol!

So u guys are saying I can get a different trimmer line attatchment that will allow me to use heavier line?

And what is that old looking machine? Looks dangerous with that large round set of blades just hanging out in the open! But is that really something that is worthwhile?

Would a chainsaw be more effective?
  8. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

You definitely want something w/ a blade on it. You should be able to get an attachment for that Echo trimmer that will get you taken care of.
  9. Horsepower Lawns

Horsepower Lawns LawnSite Member

That is a weed mower. It will run you around the place (single speed - Fast :)). It will do the job and kill you to ;). Don't get in front of it. Most of them will cut small trees.

I have one, it just need a new gas tank.

Are you or your job on the North side of Indy?
    If it is call Runyon Rentals and see if they have one.
    If you are someplace else call Sun Belt rentals they are all over the place.
  10. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

I would have tried to call a farmer with a 4x4 tractor and a brush hag type mower. This time of year, unless there doing hay, there not using there equipment as much, and mighty be milling to make a couple of dimes for an hour or so of work.