What is best way to cut wet grass and does non-stick spray help?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green-pa, May 9, 2008.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

Any recommendations for cutting grass when wet. It rained some on Wednesday and mostly all day Thursday. I missed 2 jobs from Wed and all 5 yards on Thurs. I have 9 more to do Friday ( today). So should the grass be ok to cut as long as it doesn't rain more? How do u guys handle wet grass? I left lots of clumps in the thick turfed yards Wednesday from the rain then. CHecked my blades and they were kinda dull so I just put some sharp ones on, should this help prevent clumps?

I've heard of spraying non-stick cooking spray on the bottom of the deck to help preven sticking and clumping; does this work and if so, how long before u have to re-apply?

2. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

You can spray your deck with Fluid Film! That helps, contact Dano50 for a FREE sample can! When its wet we usually double cut all the lawns to rid of all the clumps. So try that, or you can bag each lawn but that totally sucks.

3. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Raven. I best get to sleep. It's 212 am now, 2 hours past my normal bedtime. Yesterday was my first FuLL Day rainout this year and I've gotta be on the ball Friday. :sleeping:

4. SDNCLAWNCARE

SDNCLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

If its wet, I usually cut it twice. But I have an older mower that doesn't quite cut as smooth as newer mowers.

5. CutApproved

CutApproved LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I too would suggest double cutting..... BUT. When you cut the second time raise your deck an inch or more. Doing it this way really helps disperse the clumps.

6. redmax fan

redmax fan LawnSite Bronze Member

ive always wanted to try this but my partner says it wont work ,
    but i say blow the lawn before cutting and alot of the water on the grass blades shall be absorbed into the soil .

7. lil_cote_93

lil_cote_93 LawnSite Member
    from ON

i just had this problem also, the rain sucks, but it has to be cut.
    my dad recommended spraying WD 40 ON THE bottom of the deck, and the blades.. ill see if it keeps the grass off.

8. Youngone07

Youngone07 LawnSite Member

Double Cutting is better cleans up nice, but bagging isnt that bad either

9. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

In my opinion, you're putting the cart in front of the horse !!

Talk to your turf-fertilizing counterpart on each respective lawn (if it's not "YOU" :rolleyes:), about not overdosing each fert round of application with too much FAST RELEASE nitrogen, especially garbage like water-soluble UREA !!
    There are too many better alternatives out there...in the long run....for everyone involved.

Honestly, sometimes the relationship & (lack of) communication between "lawn care" and "mowing" is COMPLETELY bizarre... like something out of a Dr. Suess book !! :dizzy:

10. gandk06

gandk06 LawnSite Senior Member

You have to be joking. You can't force the water into the soil with a blower. The water has to evaporate.
    Just sounds like your friend likes to blow things.:hammerhead: