1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What is better, DFI or EFI engines?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tonyr, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

deere makes an DFI petrol model and toro etc make EFI... what is better, direct injection, or electronic injection?
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

i would think EFI because i think you get better gas milage with it. And with EFI, i believe there is a diagnostic port on it so if there is some problem, you can take it to your dealer to have it checked out by just plugging it in. Just what i have heard though.
  3. Tonyr

my previous mower was a Toro Z588E, 28hp EFI running a 60'' turbo force deck.....there is nothing this mower couldn't do, awesome, I miss it greatly!

while for a petrol it was ecconomical to run, it was much thirstier than the 31hp yanmar diesel in my deere, as in 2 lt per hour on the diesel to 4 lt plus on the efi....

I thought DFI may of been an even better gasser.....so EFI is still the flavour eh?

I would buy another EFI in a flash, crikey that mower worked hard! lol.
  4. Cobra Jock

Cobra Jock LawnSite Member

You're right to a certain extent. If the dealer has the software he can plug it into the computer on the EFI, but you have to have someone running the computer that knows what he is doing. In my experience, very, very, very, very, very few know what they're doing. Three trips to a dealer with my EFI (POS) hasn't helped one bit. The little bite saved in gas will definitely be wiped out with the repair bill your dealer will give you TRYING to fix your EFI. Buy something that you can work on yourself and save some money IN THE LONG RUN, IMO.

5. Cobra Jock

Tonyr, I've been reading about all the troubles you've been having with your Deere.:cry: I've been have the same nightmares with my EFI. :cry: If I were you, I would go with some tuff mower with a proven engine like a Kubota diesel! Never be a guinea pig again!

6. Tonyr

good points there.....I remember when I did have a problem, dealer had problems finding a fix, replaced strator, regulator, ended up being a faulty earth wire lol, 1 weeks downtime.....that's I traded....top dealer, crap mechanic he hired. but yes EFI does take a little more checking over too, if a wire is loose anywhere it will go into 'limp' mode, but when they run they really run....
  7. Cobra Jock

I agree, when they run, they really run. :gunsfirin
  8. Tonyr

ya not wrong Greg, this has been a learning experience!

least the owner of the dealership is working on a replacement for a side discharge, clean swap.....deere won't help at all, or help him help me, they are shafting him too! deere are really being nasty about this, taking it personal instead of just fixing the issue.

where I am we don't have a lot of choice.....hustler, toro, deere.....I could of demoed a 28hp pro deck kubota , but dealer was 2 plus hours away, and no one runs kubotas around here.....

I saw a grasshopper at a show recently, ugly, but nicely made.....but no local dealers....

I miss my toro, and will be happy to try a model when I'm ready to buy again.
  9. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

why not a diesel Toro? They got them. Z-590D 27 HP diahatsu diesel. Not my favorite diesel, but. comes in 60 or 72inch deck. don't think they have the RD deck. but your not getting that with the new deere anyway.

I really like the Grasshoppers. May end up getting one. But dealer is 45 minutes away. Major bummer. Toro is #2 choice.
  10. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

DFI=Digital Fuel Injection