What is better???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by No Weeds Left Behind, Oct 6, 2012.

Tags:
  1. No Weeds Left Behind

No Weeds Left Behind LawnSite Member

Hello all I am new to the industry started this year and have done better than I expected looking to bridge over to full time in another year or so. My question is I have a 36" belt drive walk behind that is getting somewhat old/unreliable I am looking at purchasing another mower and using that as a back up. Should I buy a zero turn rider or stander??? I just want to know which would be more practical. I am up in the air on the decision seeing advantages to both. Wanted some advice from people that use or have used both. Brand wise i am gonna go with gravley, ferris, scag, or exmark. Thanks

2. ddixon7

ddixon7 LawnSite Senior Member

For an all around mower, I would suggest a 52" Exmark Turf Tracer walk behind with a velke.

3. LawnMan19

LawnMan19 LawnSite Gold Member

If those are the brands your going to go with, I'd go for a Ferris comfort control DD w/velke.

4. No Weeds Left Behind

Thats pretty much the only brands we have around here. are walk behinds better than the stand on mowers?

5. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

You're not biased at all are you? :laugh:

6. orangemower

from pa

You have to decide what will work best for you. None of us on the forum knows what type of conditions you'll be mowing in so it's something you'll have to figure out.

7. Blades Lawn Maintenance

Blades Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Baton Rouge, La

I say to go set up some demos on some standers and ztrs. IMO if your properties are like 1/2 acre or smaller go with a stander if they are bigger I'd go with a ztr.

8. No Weeds Left Behind

Thanks I think the stander in my opinion from the yards I have and will get would work better. I live in Mississippi so no hills at all really, and if we have them they are ditches. just have read some bad things about them and wanted some feedback on them. Example scag v ride uses oil, things I wouldn't know from a demo. I'm not ditching my walk behind by any stretch of the imagination I love that machine for what I payed for it but to increase productivity with a faster more maneuverable mower would be excellent. Thanks for the response..

9. orangemower

from pa

Scag using oil isn't the mower but the engine. I find it funny how others flame a brand of mower because of something else being wrong.

10. No Weeds Left Behind

Yea from the list of Dixon's machines I would say maybe a little biased. lol