Lawn Care Forum banner

what is considered solo

7K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  Wayne's Lawn Service 
#1 ·
i know this topic has been going on for ever but what is considered solo? I have read post on this site and heard from guys in my area stay solo never run multiple crews etc... but what is considered "big"? how many lawns per day can one guy do? myself its me and one full time guy we do 80 lawns a week i think im making a good living. i hate turning down work but you can only do so much with two guys! what about giving an employee a truck and a mower and paying him per yard say $10 give him 30 lawns per week still considered solo but as the owner your making x per lawn? right or wrong thinking?

#3 ·
Your business is still solo, but after your first year you'd be stupid to be a sole proprietor, especially with a second crew, whether it's one guy or four guys on the second crew. I can cut 13-15 lawns per day in the Summer by myself with a 36" mower, apprx. 4-5 acres.

Other than that, I won't say more with out more details.

-Michael

#6 ·
Your business is still solo, but after your first year you'd be stupid to be a sole proprietor, especially with a second crew, whether it's one guy or four guys on the second crew. I can cut 13-15 lawns per day in the Summer by myself with a 36" mower, apprx. 4-5 acres.

Other than that, I won't say more with out more details.

-Michael
You can cut 15 4 acre yards in a day with a 36" mower???

#7 ·
maybe i should re-tittle this thread "what is to big" no i dont consider myself solo. but many say stay solo and dont git "BIG" well what is considered to big?
there are a few companies around me that a decent sized, that have multiple crews running around on a daily basis. multiple crews means they have 2-4 trucks with trailers and mowers or a skid steer going around doing lawns, or maybe hardscape installs or maybe 1 of them is doing irrigation work, who knows. I think staying with 1 crew which could consist of you and 1 other guy or you and 2 other guys but staying with 1 truck, and 1 trailer, maybe 2 mowers on that one trailer and 1 guy to do the trimming would be the most efficient, most profitable i'm not sure about that, that's probably 1 guy mowing and 1 guy trimming for highest efficiency and staying most profitable, between 2 people you should be able to make a pretty comfortable living, also the headache's at this level are pretty minimal, not much overhead, very low payroll.

#10 ·
Big is a relative term...it all depends on your perspective. A big lawn to someone from the city might be a half acre whereas to someone from the country that would be a small lawn. To me a big company in this business would be doing millions of dollars of sales per year, whereas someone who is just starting out might look at my operation and think I'm big. I have been told I was too big before, but that was in a different context, lol.

I'm "solo" and I only do 5 or 6 lawns a day most of the time but, I have done up to 9 or 10. It's not really about how many lawns, it's about how many dollars.

I do get some help with the phone from my wife and she does some clericial stuff for me as well. One of my sons will help out on the moving route in the summer but usually only 2 or 3 days a week for 4 or 5 hours. But most of the time it's just me and I'm not looking to have multiple crews and the assoiciated headaches. My goal is to maximize what I can bring in by myself with a little help from my family....to steadily grow my income without really growing the business. I do that by picking my accounts carefully, trying to keep a steady work load, and keeping a close eye on my accounts receivable, among other things.

#11 ·
The main reason most of us want to stay solo is because its hard to find good help. I had 10 guys work for me over the summer. No calls no shows lazy high drunk poor quality all ads up to solo. But again I turn a lot of work away because I just don't have time. I'm thinking of trying something out next season and maybe you guys have tried it but I'm
goung to pay per yard instead of per hour. I have enough equipment to run two crews. So my idea is to start them off with part time say 20 lawns per week at 10 per lawn
Posted via Mobile Device

#12 ·
Sorry hit submit before I was done!! Ill give them 5 days or less to complete those lawns. If they seem to handle those 20 okay make them "full" time with 30- 40 per week. As far as quality before and after photos sent to my phone after every cut. To me per cut instead of per hour eliminates the lazy ones who milk the clock loading and unloading smoking and talking on cellphones etc... they set there own schedule as long as they get all properties done. If they don't complete there work on time or bad quality for say three weeks they are cut back or cut off! Whats your thoughts?
Posted via Mobile Device

#16 ·
It's a great idea, but you need to figure it out on your own. We don't know how long it takes to get the yards done and their are always 10 guys ready to jump you on this site because they didn't read every post or because you didn't give enough details.

How long does each of these yards take? 20 yards= ? hours.
IMO 5 days to get 20 yards done is unacceptable unless these are huge properties, in which I wouldn't hand them over to high, drunk, pi$$ poor workers. If they take an hour or less each they should have them done in two days.

Customer's pay for prompt service, make sure you can get an employee who can do that.

-Michael

#17 ·
my average lawn size is around an acre. some smaller, others way bigger.

my first year, doing everything by myself, I would average around 7-9 a day. some times more.

when I hired a worker my second year, I doubled my production immediately, mowing anywhere from 13-18 a day, just depends on which account i was doing that day, as i have one 5 acre property and another 5 acre property, but only 2 1/2 acres are mowable.

I got so much done my second year, we only worked 1-2 days a week, sometimes 3, because I only had 25 accounts we serviced on a schedule.

#18 ·

my first year, doing everything by myself, I would average around 7-9 a day. some times more.

when I hired a worker my second year, I doubled my production immediately, mowing anywhere from 13-18 a day, just depends on which account i was doing that day, as i have one 5 acre property and another 5 acre property, but only 2 1/2 acres are mowable.

I got so much done my second year, we only worked 1-2 days a week, sometimes 3, because I only had 25 accounts we serviced on a schedule.
I don't understand why you would hire someone if you weren't maxed out working by yourself. Are you just part time on lawn care or something?

#19 ·
I don't understand why you would hire someone if you weren't maxed out working by yourself. Are you just part time on lawn care or something?
For now i am, because im in college getting a business degree and when i started i was going to college for a welding certification, in case lawn care goes in the toilet. but im planning on going full time with lawn care in 2014.

Basically, on the days I dont have class which are 4 days including the weekend, im out there working. sometimes after class, though, i have time to mow 2 or 3.

it would be hard to service 38 clients with out someone to help me.

#20 ·
I feel like you can get it all done by yourself, but that is what I can do, everyone pushes themselves at different paces.

If only 2.5 acres are mowed on a 5 acre property, make sure you say that your are mowing 2.5 acres. Because you just went from apprx. 3 hours of cutting down to 1.5 hours with one 60" mower and one guy weedwacking.

-Michael

#21 ·
I feel like you can get it all done by yourself, but that is what I can do, everyone pushes themselves at different paces.

If only 2.5 acres are mowed on a 5 acre property, make sure you say that your are mowing 2.5 acres. Because you just went from apprx. 3 hours of cutting down to 1.5 hours with one 60" mower and one guy weedwacking.
-Michael
Ummm...pretty sure he did say that. At least that's what it says on my computer screen...not sure what yours says. And pretty sure he has a 52 inch mower too...where'd the 60 come from. Are you alright dude?

#22 ·
Ill quote myself

#23 ·
Sorry 52" mower, and just state that your mowing 2.5 acres. You don't need to say five acres.

I am just gonna stop posting on anything you post on Darryl, thank God we don't work in the same neighborhoods.

-Michael

#24 · (Edited)
Sorry 52" mower, and just state that your mowing 2.5 acres. You don't need to say five acres.

I am just gonna stop posting on anything you post on Darryl, thank God we don't work in the same neighborhoods.

-Michael
Sorry...didn't mean to hurt your feelings or anything....you just don't seem to make much sense...maybe it's just me though. Actually you're on my ignore list and have been for some time because you keep getting all huffy with me over nothing. I think you have a false sense of propriety actually...telling this guy how he should state things...things that I dare say are pretty clear. I maintain a lot of 2+ acre properties that are between 25 and 50% turf...is it ok if I say it like that or do you need me to spell it out for you in square feet?

#25 ·
it is five acres, but 2 1/2 acres are mowable only because of the two big ponds on the property take up close to 2 1/2 acres.

#26 ·
Sorry hit submit before I was done!! Ill give them 5 days or less to complete those lawns. If they seem to handle those 20 okay make them "full" time with 30- 40 per week. As far as quality before and after photos sent to my phone after every cut. To me per cut instead of per hour eliminates the lazy ones who milk the clock loading and unloading smoking and talking on cellphones etc... they set there own schedule as long as they get all properties done. If they don't complete there work on time or bad quality for say three weeks they are cut back or cut off! Whats your thoughts?
Posted via Mobile Device
A pest control company in our area was paying a technician solely based on commision from each account he serviced. Unknown to management, this employee was keeping a detailed log book of all his job activities that was related to his job but could not be tied to a particular account ( picking up chemicals from supply house, washing service vehicle, etc.). Needless to say, after he was fired (did things on purpose to get fired), the pest control company received a letter from an attorney requesting back pay for this employee plus attorney fees. It cost them six figures to settle.
I would submit paying your employees minimum wage for all time at work PLUS a commission based on billable work. This would reward the gogetters and the lazy ones would get acceptable pay. I would definitely require a certain minimum done each day or you would have grounds to replace them.
Posted via Mobile Device

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.