What is core aeration?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Luke Kindle, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Luke Kindle

Luke Kindle LawnSite Member

I am bidding to do a job on a football and soccer field! This job includes core aerations what is that? Will the normal aerator from lowes work?

2. Mark Bogart

Mark Bogart LawnSite Member

3. beaglegun

beaglegun LawnSite Member

Core aeration is when a machine pulls plugs of soil from the turf to relieve compaction. These core plugs are pulled from the turf via a hollow tine usually 3/4" in diameter. Machines that force the tines into the turf with a straight up and down motion work best. A football and soccer field will take a considerable amount of time unless you have a wide aerator. I don't know where I could rent one wide enough here in Ky. You will need to aerate these fields 2 times in different directions.

4. Pflat1

Pflat1 LawnSite Member

5. Mimowerman

Mimowerman LawnSite Senior Member

for something the size of a football or soccer feild, you may want to consider subcontracting this out to another service... would take a day or two with a ryan or bluebird !!!

6. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

Agree!!!!...

7. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

You should be able to find a core aeration machine in the central south missouri area for rent. Be sure it pulls a core and make at least 9 holes per sq ft. You will probably have to go over it twice or more. With a tow unit it will go pretty fast at 5 to 6 mph. they are asking for core aeration so they can get the compaction relief on the field. A spiking aerator usually sold in box stores will not do that.

8. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

if you have to ask this question perhaps you should think twice about bidding on this job.

9. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

That was my first thought, too! ;)

10. Pflat1

Pflat1 LawnSite Member

get a pull behind gotta start somewhere