1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What is different from installing flagstone vs pavers?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Doster's L & L, May 20, 2008.

1. Doster's L & L

Doster's L & L LawnSite Senior Member

I have a customer who wants an irregular flagstone patio about 725 sqft in size. I am most comfortable installing a paver patio, but they are insisting on the flag. Is installing a flag patio going to entail much more cutting than the pavers? Also, are wide joints going to be a problem when using the polymeric sand or would I need to lay mortar on the base and use grout in the joints? I am figuring that getting the groundwork prep will be the same with the flag as it is with the pavers.

Thanks for helping me fill in the blanks.
  2. Doster's L & L

I take it that no one here has experience installing both pavers and irregular flag...

TRBIGCREEK LawnSite Member

Depends on how your talking about laying it. If your talking about a dry lay its Fuji apples compared to Granny Smith apples. If your talking about a wet lay your dealing with a completely different fruit.

4. Doster's L & L

My idea was once my base material was laid, use 1/2" sand, lay the flag, and apply the polymeric sand. The question that I have is, will poly sand tolerate 1/2" wide or larger gaps? Or must I lay the flagstone in mortar and grout the joints?

5. amscapes03

amscapes03 LawnSite Senior Member

"Alliance" makes a product called "Gator Dust". Its a polymeric stone dust for natural stone. It's meant to fill joints 1/2" to 4". Their website is: www.alliancedp.com

TRBIGCREEK LawnSite Member

With sand 1/2 inch should be ok but not any wider.

7. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

There are a couple of different polymeric sand suppliers that state they can handle the larger joints of dry laid flagstone. The Gator Dust by Alliance, is actually a poly blended stone dust in both gray and brown. If you dry lay and mortar, you will have cracked joints in a very short time. The reason the polysand for natural as opposed to manufactured products is due to it's flexibility and ability to stay together in the larger joints.

Dry laid flag will need will need a more precise installation, due to it's natural uneveness, and at least yearly maintenance, but the look is unmistakable.