What Is drawing power from my batterys?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Daner, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

Every time my 2002 Dodge sits for a few days...the batterys are dead flat...So I charged them up and did a load test on them and they show that there still good. next I start taking the small wires of the positive terminal and I get a arc from 1 wire...It goes to a small box on the drivers side wheel well...also makes a clicking sound...like a relay of some sort...when you add and take off the power. My question Is what Is this little box drawing power all the time ..even with the key off?? It has a plug on the top with approx. 8 wires going Into It Thanks In advance for any Input
  2. groundsmgr

groundsmgr LawnSite Member

sounds like a bad solinoid or the start of a bad alternator.
  3. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

My '94 Ford was doing that. Let it sit a few days, or a week without being driven, and it would be DEAD. Turned out, the alternator was going bad. Putting out just enough to keep it up for cranking each day, but not much beyond that. Put a new alternator on it, problem solved. Charge your battery up and take your truck to the auto parts store and have the entire charging system tested. Might indicate a low performing alternator.
  4. Daner

This wire that draws the power goes to this small box...Not the alternator.... I have other wires coming off the battery for lights and the plow etc...but this small red wire is from the factory...I need to find out what that little box is...Maybe a computer?? who knows...still looking for answers.
  5. eandllandscaping

eandllandscaping LawnSite Member

Start the truck up and disconnect the battery. If the truck still runs the alternator is fine and doing its job. The batteries could be good enough to hold a charge for a little while but may need replacement.
  6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I had a problem with my Dodge van, It was a black box on the fire wall with a vacuum module mounted to it. This module developed a leak and would squeal inside the van.

I Didn't know what it was for until I stopped in my local dealership and asked, They were most helpful in answering my questions.
  7. scholzee

scholzee LawnSite Member
    from NY

Cannot disconnect battery and run newer vehicles they will shutoff, worked on old cars but the new electronics need the battery to keep the truck running.
  8. Daner

The alternator Is charging...I can see It on the amp Gage inside the truck...I,m wondering If it may be a anti corrosion device???
    I may have to start pulling fusses and see whats on the circuit
  9. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

I was gonna say this...but you beat me to it...
  10. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Take the truck to Autozone and have your system checked. The guage in your truck measures volts-not amps...so, you may have empty volts.