1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What is everyone using for hedge trimmers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by crazygator, Dec 22, 2002.

1. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

So, what is everyone using for hedge trimmers? I currently have a Stihl HS-45 and a Shindaiwa T-230 with articulate head. While I like both units, I think the Stihl is set up for more of a rough trim instead of a finish job. Especially for a fine needle type hedge or bush. What do you use that is great for these types of jobs?
    I havent had too many in the past, mostly holly's around here, but I can see it growing. I have more and more asking about this service and want equipment that will do the job in a timely manner plus leave a nice smooth and clean cut as well.

Thanks for your reponses! :D
  2. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a few. But my favorite is Tanaka, Real smooth at full throttle. I also like the Shindiawa M230 for all the tall shrubs.
  3. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

we have an HS45 just wish the tank was bigger.

personally i have no quality of trim complaints.
  4. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn LawnSite Member

I use a echo HC-1500, Very nice like the power it has.
  5. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

Echo here too!:cool:
  6. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

7. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a manual one- no gas required:)
  8. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I also have the Shin T-230 hedge trimming attachment. It's great for that hard to reach stuff, but it sure kills my shoulders after awhile. But they get the job done and that's all that matters.

I also have the Echo HC1500's. These are pretty good. I'll use them on smaller hedges.

But for the most part I use my Tanaka's because they have a slightly longer bar on them. 24" compared to the Echos 20".

Someday I'll probably get a nice 30" bar from one of the manufacturers, not sure which one yet.

But to answer your question about quality of cut, hmmm, hard to say. I think mine all cut about the same.

I know it's an overly obvious question, but are your blades sharp?
  9. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

Stihl ! :)
  10. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Since you are finally bringing your hedge trimming theories into the Twentieth Century, you want the "mid size" pole pruner. End of story. Mine is an Echo, but others are starting to make this size.
    OH, and the machine is not running, or I'd have my hearing and eye protection on.