What Is Fair Pay for Me/What should I demand

Discussion in 'Employment' started by DCK1981, Jul 19, 2014.

1. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

I guess I didn't answer your question, I attend a bunch of training and from what other owners say about what they pay certified techs not just a RT is about 32k with benifits. No benifits makes a large difference
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

If you pay for your benefits, why are they called benefits?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. eggy

I hope it wasn't my first one ...
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

I think you should make more my friend. Can learn a lot from this site. Good luck!

5. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

My cousin's broke apart too...its the water :)

6. eggy

Proabably what burns me more is the boss wanted me to be the certified applicator, which I did in 3a, 3b and 6 to hold the spray license for the company. Now I am legally on call when the registered tech. is out spraying even when I am not at work yet or off and receive zero dollars for such....

7. ManuelMowing

ManuelMowing LawnSite Member

Sounds like you are doing a lot for the company. Your hourly rate is pretty good but like you said you have no benefits and you don't work during the winter. Like others have said, you might consider starting your own business. You might want to talk to the owner and voice your concerns. The worst that can happen is that you will be fired and you can then draw unemployment and then you contract is void.

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

#1 You don't demand anything. You are an employee who has agreed to the current terms. If you would like to renegotiate, fine. But you demand something from me regarding pay and you'll be out the door so fast it isn't funny.

#2 Ted\Ed is correct. As stated, what he is doing with OT is illegal and will get him in a lot of trouble, if someone were to call him on it. Yes, there is comp time, but what you stated is not comp time, except for your employer.

Good luck, but if you want to continue working there, don't demand. Remember, you get more flies with honey than vinegar.

9. ManuelMowing

ManuelMowing LawnSite Member

I don't think you are correct about overtime laws. We have nothing to really go off of except what he stated and nothing seems wrong. OT can be held over and paid at a later date, you do have to be paid that time.

http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-over...nistration/fact-sheets/compensatory-time-off/

10. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Silver Member

If you have less than five employees, I think, overtime is required after 45 hours per week.