What is fall clean up exactly?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Freddy_Kruger, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

And what would be a good set up.

This is what I have from spring clean up. a Shindawa Power Broom, a blue bird power rake and a back pack blower.

I've been reading up on this but I don't really want to spend lots of money on a push blower but I would spend it on a lawn vac because I could use it next spring for that clean up.

I would like to know if that works, a back pack blower to clean out bushes etc. hand rakes as well, and a lawn vac to vacuum up the leaves. Then we would bag the leaves. And as I understand, that's what fall clean up is, correct?

I can't afford a bunch of specialized dump trucks with wierd things on them. I could get a push blower I suppose but if it isnt necessary I would prefer the lawn vac but I don't even know if it would work. I 'm thinknig I might be able to make a lot of money this fall like I did this spring. So I will risk my snow plow budget, well some of it.

2. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

My fall cleanups are basically leaf cleanups. Last year, we had a variety of backpack blowers and rakes; oh, and a tarp. This year we're doing things a lot different, we are getting a vac system for the Hustler ZTR, and keeping the rest.

3. Freddy_Kruger

I just checked out the vid for this thing and its amazing. I think it would be preferable to lawn vac plus I've been thinking of buying a trailer and a john deere cheepy ride on. What do you think about this thing, it would prolly save a full time guy during the busy fall clean up.

http://www.cyclonerake.com/

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Leaves, lots and lots of LEAVES :laugh:

Everybody will call you for leaves!
    Folks whom you will never hear from the entire rest of the year will call you for leaves!

Advice: If you do not have your winter money saved yet, start now because you need to have your winter money saved before leaf seasons starts. If you don't know why, you will learn the hard way that leaves is dirt-cheap work. Even the folks who have no problem paying 35 dollars for a 1/2 hour grass cut will faint when it costs more than 60-70 to clean and haul away their 2-inch thick leaf cover that should cost around 400 dollars.

5. Freddy_Kruger

Well I aint hauling anything away. Leaves go in a big bag and the garbage man can take it from there thats what I did this spring and almost everyone else did the same around here it seems to be the norm.

I'm really excited about JD maybe a toro ride on with a cyclone rake dragging behind I want to own this fall:weightlifter: Right after me drink my coffee I'm going to home depot to look at their ride ons and their trailers. I know its not top notch stuff but I just want to use this stuff now I can't afford any thing else.
    My thinking is this, I'm not full time lawn guy yet, I will be advertising for more yards and then hiring help. I bought 21" mowers to start with knowing that they arent' that durable but also knowing once I get more and larger yards they would only be used as trim mowers (light duty). Same with a cheap ride on, in the future when I buy a true commercial ride on or something the cheapo ride on will be back up and also that same leaf collection system will be very useful in the next spring clean up. We were raking the thatch after the power rake went over and bagging by hand. This would save my wages big time (if it works, I've wasted money before, lol)

PLus, I am only mowing about 18 hours a week I have 25 customers this is at the limit of my abilities. You see I have a very bad leg and wear a leg brace if I would for more that 5 or 6 hours a day I fubar myself up for the whole evening. I can't get a job actually thats why I'm self employed (I fell off a house cleaning windows and split my fibula up the middle they still want to fuse my ankle but ferget about it) So a ride on, any ride on would be awesome (I think). Plus the other days I have to clean windows and I still don't have enough time If I push it and work 10 hours I can barely walk the next day and I couldn'l put zero weight on my leg that evening so short days are a must.

Right now I'm working alone again I need to double my lawns then I can hire some one full time, part time guys are useless.
    As for winter money, I'm buying a 2nd truck and putting a pull back plow and a front plow this will effectively triple the amount of driveway contracts I can do. $$$$

6. Freddy_Kruger

I guess power raking has no place in the fall clean up eh? Power broom?

I already own these things I wish there was more I could do with them then just spring clean up.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

What exactly are these things, dethatchers?
    The only thing I find exxxtremely handy with leaves is a push blower.

Way I do things, use the push to make piles, then rake + tarp or if it suits the pile goes in the woods in the first place. Yes it is by far easier to blow leaves in the back woods, of course it's cheaper but even I would rather not haul them and I don't care how much they're willing to pay (which is very rare that someone would WANT to pay what it's even worth not to mention more on top, but even if such were the case, I'd still rather not haul due to the pita of that).

8. Freddy_Kruger

Power Rake (in case you're not jesting)

they have spinning tine things that dig into the thatch. They leave clumps of dead grass behind that need to be bagged up. Sometimes they leaves lots of dead grass as well as some live grass to.

Big money maker.

[​IMG]

9. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

My cousin had that same thing happen to his leg. Working on a cvs drug store and the building collapsed. They want to fuse his ankle also, he won't let them. At the end of the day he has to crawl up his stairs to get in bed. then says it hurts in the mornings till he gets moving a bit.
    do what you can, build up your buisiness, hire some help, then stay home and rake in the dough.

10. Aadman

Aadman LawnSite Member
    from VA

I have a cyclone rake and LOVE IT. I bought the commercial model with the estate hoses. I did a lot of spring cleanups with it and it saved lots of time.

I've done a couple of jobs cleaning leaves out of ivy. (I charged alot) I used the estate hoses and did both jobs of ivy in less than a day as a 1 man operation.

The co that does the CR is great too. I bought mine in January and they made an upgrade to the CR this spring and sent the upgrade for free. I got a letter from them saying that they had found an improvement and was sending a new part. It showed up within a week.

Be careful when using the estate hoses. It will suck up anything there. Including small plants in pots.

Joe