what is going on with my kawi?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Chris G, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Chris G

Chris G LawnSite Member

I have a kawi 23 hp engine on my ztr and it has been perplexing me a bit lately. It seems as though whenever the engine is in its idle or no clutch engaged and no hydros working position the engine rpms go upppp and downnnn uppppp and downnnn and so on. I posted earlier to figure out what it could be and a bunch of people said that it could be the gas cap causing a suction in the tank....well I ran the engine with no gas cap and it was the same problem. I just replaced the fuel filter as to try to solve this issue but no difference. The filter actually doesnt seem to be filling up to much with gas....never any more than 1/4 full really. Could this be a gas line issue or something in the carb? Also when I engage the hydros to go forward and im moving the issue goes away only to come back when I stop.

I would really appreciate some help as I am at a loss right now

2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

sounds like dirt in the carb.

3. heather lawn sp

heather lawn sp LawnSite Senior Member

We've got a twin 20 hp Kawi on our F725 mower vintage 1994. It has a strange habit of dropping power. It's one of the coils (igniters) that goes bad. A quick test is to remove one spark plug wire and see if that stops the flucuation. Second half of the test is to replace the first plug wire and disconnect the second plug wire. If in either case, the engine won't even run, the connected wire/igniter is bad The disconnected (good) wire was the only one that was keeping it running. Quick to fix. Unbolt igniter & disconnect 2 wires and install new igniter

Sometimes the fluctuation is an igniter only going bad and working only intermittently, thus leading to the jumping up and down in rpm's

4. dmanb2b

dmanb2b LawnSite Member

Is the Kawi new...ie less than 50 hours? I have experienced this and is a result of the engine being in it's break-in period...just the engine seating properly...should go away as it breaks in...if that is the case

5. Chris G

Chris G LawnSite Member

no the engine has 717 hours on it

6. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like another Kawi coil problem

7. mattb84

mattb84 LawnSite Member

Do the rpms drop while going up a hill significantly? Does the engine speed up to a very high rpm while decending?

8. Chris G

Chris G LawnSite Member

yes and yes

9. mattb84

mattb84 LawnSite Member

Likely the governors.

10. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

I will share a similar problem that I had on two Kaw's in the last year--the engines surged at any speed and was at it's worst when accelerating. I thought the problem to be fuel related to begin with also. I then properly adjusted the governor arm. Neither of the two relieved the problem. Upon opening the engine I found a badly worn governor assembly and the plastic ball retainer in the assembly had the ears(bosses) sheared off. New parts corrected the problem.

Dutch