What is going on with my new lawn? pics enclosed:

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by PNB, Sep 27, 2005.

1. PNB

PNB LawnSite Member

Great site, glad I stumbled upon it.

I did a kill-out on my lawn and reseeded it at the beginning of Sept. It has come in real nice. I used Lesco transition blend fescue seed. Now I am seeing brown spots showing up in my new lawn. They start out small, and the spots look like there are spider webs in them. They look like foam, holds water droplets, but the only think I think they can be is some sort of spider web nests. They end up growing a bit and making brown spots.

Any ideas what this is and how I remedy it? I will enclose pics if I can figure it out. Thanks in advance.

2. PNB

PNB LawnSite Member

another pic

3. PNB

PNB LawnSite Member

another picture

4. PNB

PNB LawnSite Member

Last one,

5. snmhanson

snmhanson LawnSite Member

When we did our lawn we had the exact same thing. I'm not sure but I think it was Pythium Blight and we got it from overwatering. I cut back on the watering and when I did water I watered deeper and it seemed to take care of the problem. I am not a pro however so take what I say with a grain of salt. Hopefully more qualified people will jump in and offer their advice.

6. PNB

PNB LawnSite Member

Just did a google on it, and it looks like that is what I have...anyone got any treatment ideas? It has been hot and humid lately....a reason given as to spread of this fungus. A cold front is finally passing through, so I don't think conditions will be as favorable for it's growth, but I want to stop this thing if I can. Thanks for the reply.

7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

8. Threxx

Threxx LawnSite Member

How often do you water and when do you water? Water once-twice a week at the most, just water a LOT when you do (though don't flood, either). And do it in the morning, not in the evening. To control what fungus you do have, as mentioned, use a fungacide.
  9. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

It looks like it could be alot of things.Dollarspot,sodwebworms,spittlebugs,blight.
    To check for sodwebworms,mix 1 tablespoon of lemon scented dish detergent in 1 gallon of water.Pour over the effected area.It irritates the caterpillar and they will surface in a few minutes.Also,look closely for "frass",green droplets in the thatch.
    As for dollarspot,look at the grass blades to see if any have hour glass lesions on them.You'll need to look at green leaves close to the dead grass.If it's dollarspot,apply nitrogen and water less frequently(twice per week),but for a longer period.
  10. OCTO13ER

OCTO13ER LawnSite Member

I agree with the dollarspot theory.