What is going on????

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by sildoc, Mar 28, 2006.

1. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Ok I have a Plugger aerator. the brand is not what matters but the engine does. Ok now the specifics. Briggs intek IC 506 5 hp horizontal shaft engine that cuts out after 10-20 seconds with the air filter in. with out the filter in it runs fine. Ok It is running rich with filter in, so I suspect. I adjust the carb so it does not run so rich. same thing. what is the problem. it is less than a year old and has less than 20 hours on it. It is driving me nuts. Adjust, adjust and adjust and still no go with filter in.
    Now it ran fine with the filter in last year. Yes I changed the filter 3 times all new filters from different places so that I didn't get a bad air filter.
    What is the take???? I hate to take it to some one for a simple fix but it is getting close to a go time. Help. I have not a clue any more and am pretty mechanically inclined.
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Briggs had a batch of camshafts that were not heat treated properly thus causing pre-mature wear on the exhaust lobe. From your description this sounds like it could be the problem. Remove the valve cover and spark plug, Turn the engine over by hand slowly and watch both rocker arms for a fully open valve position noting the exhaust. Should this be the problem take the unit to a authorized Briggs dealer for a warranty repair.
  3. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Thank you. I am just going to take it in and let them work on it. I don't have the time for trying to get the POS running right. I appreciate the help. I will post later what was wrong.