What is going with 2 men vs 1???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Mar 13, 2007.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I started to notice this last year and this year it is even more evident.

When we do a spring scalp for a client, we charge by the hour. Our labor rate is $36 per man-hour.

I can send one-man mowing crews out to scalp lawns and the charge is typically in the $75 to $110 range, consistently.

As soon as I add another man to the crew, suddenly, the charges skyrocket to $150 to $225, on average. It's like the second guy is contributing nothing.

I have noticed this strange phonomenon with several crew leaders. It's got nothing to do with them goofing off, I am certain.

Why does this happen EVERY year? I don't get it. I end up discounting the scalp when the charges come in north of $150 and the lawn is a normal size.

All these lawns are roughly the same size.

I am clueless.

DFW Area Landscaper
  2. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I think it has to do with them knowing it should take 2-3 hours (man hours) and not being smart enough to realize that with 2 people it should take about half the time it takes one, besides, it isn't their time or money.

It isn't goofing off so much as working to meet the time. Or better said as the job expanding to fill the time. You are paying them hourly correct?