1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What is growing in my new bermuda

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by blake711, Sep 16, 2009.

1. blake711

blake711 LawnSite Member

Hello I purchased a new home this spring and they put new Bermuda sod on the whole lot its in north eastern Oklahoma. I have watered and maintained it regularly. Early when the grass started growing I had some weeds that would come up I would pull them daily. Well with the heat of summer they got away with me. Now I have some type of weed all over my yard. It grows like a vine kinda like burmuda but I don't know what it is. Can you tell me what it is and the best way to get rid of it. Also fall is coming on any tips on what I should do to the yard this fall and next spring so I only have healthy grass and no weeds. Thanks.

Pictures below are one of good sod. Next is sod with weed. Next is Weed stood up and the vines pulled out of bermuda. Last is the weed pulled on the pavement. Thanks!

Blaken

DSC_7832.JPG

DSC_7833.JPG

DSC_7834.JPG

DSC_7835.JPG

2. suzook

suzook LawnSite Member

Looks like crabgrass.

3. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Yes, large smooth Crabgrass. Next spring use a pre-emergent such as "Gallery". Try to keep it mowed as not to produce seeds. Also pick up grass clippings this time of year with seeds in them. Hire a reputable professional to apply the correct herbicide and amount to clear up what you have growing.

4. Akita

Akita LawnSite Member

Looks like crabgrass is a common problem in new bermuda sod. Happened in my sod too.

5. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Others are correct. Crabgrass. Too late for post emergent anything this year. Pull it if you can. Don't worry about the rest and like others said, try to prevent it next season with a pre-emergent app in the Spring.

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

45 degress prevents further growth. Frost kills it.

Do not pull it. Cut it off flush with the ground with a big serrated steak knife. Its quick and you don't get a big hole from the root ball. The roots do not sprout.

7. jbrown5

jbrown5 LawnSite Member

Be sure to use a good grassy weed pre-emergent like prodiamine or pendimethalin. Gallery will not control crabgrass, it strictly prevents broadleaf weeds.

8. JShe8918

JShe8918 LawnSite Senior Member

Wow. I just sodded my yard with tifway 419 and have crab grass and another weed i haven't been able to identify in it. I was considering doing a post m to get rid of the hideousness but i just might wait.

9. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

Up here in Arkansas, we have had serious outbreaks of Crab and Dallis in the 419 fields.
    Out of each piece on the pallet, you can see 3-4 sprouts and stems of these weeds.
    The seeds are already present in the upper inch of that sod. They will wait until the Bermuda starts to root because it takes about that long for them to start as well.
    Around here, before the sod is cut from the fields, they reel mow it......just to get rid of the odd weeds like these. You can't tell when the sod is mowed low......then when new growth starts.............so does the weeds. Preemerge's aren't as redily used in the sod fields. To keep their costs at a minimal, they apply least as possible. High quality sod farms take good care of their sod, but the cost of a pallet reflects the overhead.
    Where is the happy medium??

10. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

The plant board and their certified sod program has done a pretty good job in slowing the spread of the Fire Ants. Unfortunately it has been too little too late. They are about 5-6 yrs behind where they should have been. They were bringing those things in literally by the container full from Louisiana in nursery stock until they got smart and quarantined it at the state line. Almost every newly sodded lawn I've seen this year has been full of buttonweed and nutgrass. You can tell the sod farms are in a financial crunch. They won't spend any money on specialty herbicides. They're operating on the philosophy that if 2,4 D won't get it then it just can't be controlled:dizzy: