What is growing in my new bermuda

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by blake711, Sep 16, 2009.

1. chaser2587

chaser2587 LawnSite Member

Geees thanks for sending more rain. j/k :laugh:. I don't know really know yet, I haven't done too much research (yet) on the pre emergence stuff. Do you have any suggestions you would like to share???

2. chaser2587

October already!.... its only about a week away. Maybe it will stop raining by October. lmao.

3. JShe8918

JShe8918 LawnSite Senior Member

Yep yep... Mid Sept/Mid Oct 5-10-20 Pre M or 0-0-7 Dimension. You can pick it us at Lesco. It is all granular so you get a quality spreader and set it up correctly. I have more info i can share with you if needed. Look at sandmantopdressing.com

4. chaser2587

That's a very useful website, thanks. I'm definitely going to use the Lesco products, that seems to be the way to go. I would be very appreciative if you could share more info with me. I didn't get the house until december and didn't get a head start on the lawn. I didn't really know what to do other than fertilize. I grew up with a fescue lawn so taking care of bermuda is new to me. Any advice would be appreciated!

5. JShe8918

JShe8918 LawnSite Senior Member

Get your post count up so you can receive PM's and i we can talk further about care. I think it requires a minimum of 25 post before you can send or accept PM's.

Jonathan

6. chaser2587

Ok I'll work on getting my post count up.

7. CAROLINALAWNMAN1

CAROLINALAWNMAN1 LawnSite Member

definitely crabgrass....Dimension...to apps/year..few weeks before greening and another 5-6 months later..never see it again

8. chaser2587

You definitely can't kill it after it's mature.

9. blake711

blake711 LawnSite Member

bumping my thread from last fall. Its middle of February now. Temps in Tulsa have been averaging mid-30sto mid 40s each day with occasional 50 degree day. Of course we had some really cold weather a few days at a time with some snow also the last month. So what pre-emergent do I need to put down on my Bermuda grass to kill that crab grass before it comes back this year? Also when do I need to put it down? Do I need a certain temp for so many days? This is new grass that was installed last March.

Thanks,
    Blake

10. Turfdoctor1

Turfdoctor1 LawnSite Senior Member

I would suggest hiring a professional. I cannot imagine that buying a sprayer and chemicals and doing the work yourself is going to be cost effective.

The time is now to be putting down your pre-emergent. Anytime from now until mid march is fine. You must get it down before the crabgrass germinates, and the average date when soil temperatures reach levels that crabgrass can germinate is about March 15th in Tulsa. you just want to make sure you get it down before then.

If you are going to do this yourself, you can buy granular products with pendimethalin. But, these products would have fertilizer in them, driving up your cost. And, there is absolutely no need to add fertilizer to a dormant bermuda grass right now. If you have a sprayer and access to purchasing chemical, you could purchase pendimethalin in a liquid form and spray yourself. However, the life of this chemical is not going to last you all summer. If, on the other hand, you hire a professional, they will probably spray prodiamine. Prodiamine will prevent crabgrass throughout the growing season.

If you have a 1/4 acre lot, you can hire a pro for $300 a year. And, you are going to be much better off in the long run.