What is Happening to this Lawn??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rgn2001, Apr 19, 2008.

1. rgn2001

rgn2001 LawnSite Member

This used to be the best lawn on the street, but slowly each year it has been getting worse. I just had it thatched, but there is so much dead grass that did not come up. As you can notice in the pictures it is streaky in the way that the grass has died. Also this lawn it on a hill and the sun beats on it all day. It is a 5 year old lawn, but this is the worst it has ever been. Is there anything I can do to fix this? I can't believe it is just a lack of water or the sun because it is very streaky...there is green grass intermingled.

Thanks for any help.

100_1436 (Medium).JPG

100_1438 (Medium).JPG
  2. Ooomwizard

Ooomwizard LawnSite Senior Member
    from atlanta

Uneven Fert app?
  3. progressivelawncare

progressivelawncare LawnSite Member

look into ironite or get a soil sample
  4. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

My own lawn to lesser extend look like this before ( much better though) I just dethatch last week and I do notice it look more even. Maybe it's not the same thing, don't know!!!
  5. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Homes that are on septic systems, such as my own, often have streaks in the grass over wherever the leach lines are. This probably isn't the case where you are, but it reminds me of this which can be noticed when most of the grass is dormant.

Slopes can be challenging. The irrigation really needs to be designed properly and working well. Did you aerate this property? If not, I would, and then get it fertilized, and yes, "evenly". Also, if you can, keep from compacting the turf as much in places by changing mowing directions, but I'm sure you know that.
  6. davidcentralflorida

davidcentralflorida LawnSite Member

it was fertilized with a broadcast spreader. the broadcast spreaders throw granules off a spinning tray. use of a drop spreader would have prevented the striping. i would say to shoot the water to it to remedy. good luck, david
  7. JoeinJasper

JoeinJasper LawnSite Member

At what hieght are you mowing? If you continously mow too short the grass will decline over a period of time. Apply ironite and water, then raise the deck on your mower. Joe
  8. rgn2001

rgn2001 LawnSite Member

I did used a broadcast spreader, but how can I constantly miss the same spots? I have a drop spreader, but I was told it does not do as good of a job as a broadcast. I have already put Scotts Step 1...which was last Saturday, but the lawn looked like this to begin with. It is not like the green areas became green after fertilizing. It looked like that before and 1 week later it looks the same.
  9. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not sure I agree that a drop spreader would prevent striping, David. Actually, I would believe that a broadcast spreader would be less likely to cause striping. At least in my opinion...
  10. davidcentralflorida

davidcentralflorida LawnSite Member

your not missing any. your overlapping your passes, hence double where you oberlap. its fertilize burn. a drop spreader only drops between the wheels, line up your tire tracks and PRESTO no overlap. theres no way, or im not good enough to tell where the broadcast stops, then they overlap on the next turn. water, water, water. david