what is happening with Great Dane

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by danlawnser, Jun 19, 2002.

1. danlawnser

danlawnser LawnSite Senior Member

news article on deere:
    Besides moving jobs from Horicon, Deere will close a Jeffersonville, Ind., factory that makes commercial mowing equipment, and a Williamsburg, Va., plant that manufactures the firm's Gator utility vehicles. Together, those factories employ about 235 people. Deere expects to close the plants by Oct. 31.

I thought the Jeffersonville plant was where Great dane is made. I hope Great Dane is not getting gone as a company and deere taking over. I really need to check into this. If anyone knows something please respond.
  2. ilovethisgame

ilovethisgame LawnSite Member

John Deere bought out Great Dane. I went to the JD dealer last Friday and saw a row of super surfers sporting green paint. From what the sales guy was telling me it will be kinda like the Exmark/Toro deal

3. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

:cry: :cry: Just when things were getting good. Sucks to see a large Corp. ruin a small business.
  4. RMDoyon

RMDoyon LawnSite Member

Don't feel too bad.
    This happens in corporate America every day.
    I'm sure the Dane brand will live on as long as the previous company's sales and distribution were healthy, the mowers will simply be built in another Deer plant.

I'm hoping Toro will buy Wright. Then we'll have an eXmark Stander.

5. Martino

Martino LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

I may be wrong, but the Jeffersonville, Indiana plant that Deere is closing was the original plant in which the Dane's were assembled. A couple of years ago, Great Dane opened a brand spanking new assembly plant in New Albany, Indiana where the bulk of production work is done. This plant was not mentioned among those that Deere will be closing. The J'ville plant only had 35 employees......I would think that there must be many more people working in the the New Albany plant.