1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What is happening with my lawn

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by rgn2001, Oct 31, 2006.

1. rgn2001

rgn2001 LawnSite Member

Was wondering if anyone can tell me what is going on with my lawn. These streaks are only on my hill to the front of the house. The back of the house do not have any streaks at all. I fertilize with the scotts program and I primarily mow perpendicular to the streaks. I have attached photos.

2. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Could be irregular fert application. Did you fert in that direction?
    Take a soil sample too.
  3. C.T. Lawn Care

C.T. Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

The streaks are from not overlapping your fertilizer enough or at all. Remember spread from wheel track to wheel track.
  4. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

First guess would be you recently fertilized with a broadcast spreader. Either you overlapped too much or not enough. The darker areas are basically "more fertilized". The lighter areas should catch up.:)
  5. Harry0

Harry0 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Looks like not enough overlap on the fert. What type of spreader did you use? Looks like Bluegrass, if it is the lawn might be going into dormacy with cooler temps. I would fertilize opposite pattern of stripes at lighter rate and see what happens. It might not green up if soil temp is to low.
  6. lawnspecialties

Boy, we jumped on that one, didn't we?:laugh:
  7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

4 members posting at 6:45pm on the same thread. Good stuff, lots of members here willing to give advice and help out. :clapping:
  8. rgn2001

rgn2001 LawnSite Member

yes I am fertilizing in the direction of the streaks, but interesting thing is that in the back of the house I am not getting any streaks so it seems weird that I am screwing up so bad in the front. I was thinking it was a fertilizer issue as well. I am going to put my winterizer in the same direction as my mowing, but that probably won't effect anything at this point. Next year I will change the direction because that is one thing I do differently in the back. In the back I go in the same direction as my mower. Thanks for all the help.

9. lawnspecialties

Sometimes hills can affect your speed and pattern and you don't realize it. I try to always fertilize parallel to the road just in case I "thin out" a row as well. It's not as obvious from the road.:laugh:
  10. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

Yap! Looks Like the fert.