1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What is he using?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by DeepGreenLawn, Jun 24, 2008.

1. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I was doing some apps today and the other, there are only two of us, organic-based company in town was also making an app down the street. I wandered what he was putting down though, he was using a lesco spreader and it looked like synthetic ferts, difinitely granular and was going down at the app my synthetics go down, but I wasn't sure. I was originally under the impression that they were fully organic but got home and found that they were organic-based. Or that they had the option. It is a franchise so I am certain he is having to follow their rules and procedures.

As I left the neighborhood I went by his two lawns and they were both a good green. Do you think it was a traditional fert he was putting down or have they found the secret granular formula to use? I think it was traditional. Unless it was a bridge product. Their site says that certain dealers(?) have the organics option. So that makes me think they are actually more traditional than they are organic.

One day I plan on dropping all my traditional and going straight organic. Especially with this drought coming back again, every time I make a traditional treatment, and I don't make many, I picture myself begging the customer to let me do organics instead. I just hate the idea of putting the chems on the lawn with the stresses they are under.
  2. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

you drove by and did not get a sample of his fert, and a soil sample...... what can ya do..............

he dont have your address yet does he, industrial espionage
  3. wallzwallz

wallzwallz LawnSite Senior Member

DeepGreen, even organics need some water. Are you under water restrictions ? There are full organic, granulated ferts. The better they are, the more they cost, at least around here, usually 35-50$ per bag and a recommended 20 lbs/K. I've used Roots, Fertrell and Natures Turf w/ very good results but not all can afford that price. I also like to use Cheep-Cheep, composted chicken manure, fert for building OM. I use before customers will be around as it smells a little fowl when applying but is good in a day or so.
  4. DeepGreenLawn

I am using a liquid, I know there are organic products but like you said, they are through the roof. I think either next year or next treatment, I am going to start putting down more and more compost. I just have to figure my cost until I can get my own going. This guy was in and out too quick for it to be anything like that though. And I don't see him making any money if that were the case with the franchise fees and all. He is still a one man crew. I met him on the street once. I wanted to stop by and talk to him but he was gone by the time I got finished.

Treegal, I bet it takes A LOT of compost to be able to treat all of your customers, how many apps/year would you say you make avg per year?

And water restrictions? You wouldn't believe what we got. My county just backed off enough that we can use our irrigation systems again. I don't know how they did it but I sure am glad I live where I do right now. Everyone else is still under the old, if that tells you anything, water restrictions. You can HAND water and nothing else. Literally, no sprinklers at the end of the hose, no sprinkler systems. The hose has to be in your hand while watering. It has been like this for more than a year now. Going on two I believe. We thought we were coming out but it looks like it was just a break. Last year we all of our lakes were literally drying up. We were in fights with Florida because they wanted to save some muscles. I know they are beneficial, but... how much water do they need anyways?
  5. treegal1

dont know maybe 6, we use a lot of post, so far this year 475 tons. the net income from that is a shocker, we get paid....

35% of that is manure, the other 35% is wood waste,30% other inputs/waste.
  6. DeepGreenLawn

so basically it is half and half manure and wood with additives along the way?
  7. treegal1

the additives are where its at, the sea weed, muck, veg waste, sea critter waste................ you seen the list.

the manure removal has blossomed to be very lucrative

also we do weight so the water throws the volume off, picture 25 dumpsters full, that's one dumpster per week, 4 yards cu per day, 5 days. 2 guys putting down and one making it(blending)
  8. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

Tree, all of your 'composting' is done via redworms... correct?
  9. treegal1

no there are several ways we do it, worms, silos/ towers indoors, and on the dump trailers(air under static pile)
  10. treegal1

on wheels composting 40 tons per 60 days
    indoors in vessel(towers) 40 tons per month( some pre composting )
    worms, close to 5 -7 tons per week

alot of the foods are pre composted/started off site