What is it that ATTRACTS Beetles/Grubs?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by NJemerald, Jul 15, 2005.

1. NJemerald

NJemerald LawnSite Member
    from NJ

On my customers (with a History of Grubs) that refuse to purchase our Merit app....
    I can almost mark out WHERE the grubs WILL damage the lawn EVERY YEAR.

I know Beetles like sunny areas and that damage is more severe on non-irrigated turf, BUT...
    What attracts Beetles to some properties more than other properties in the first place?

Do they feed more on particular types of Landscape plants or varieties of turf grass more than others?

Thanks

2. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

They go where they get the tasty meals. Roses, lindens, Etc. Slice seeding pays well for those who don't want to treat. :) Personally I will not use grub control unless it is needed or there is a history of problems. IMP

3. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I have often wondered exactly why they appear around spruce trees so often. I know that hills are drier and hence more grub activity from Jap Beetles there. Maybe the spruces dry out the surrounding soil. Or maybe it is something else. Makes you go, "hmmm".

4. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Does this client put out Jap beetle traps??? They attract more beetles to the area than they can kill.