What is it with fly by nighters

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Gravel Rat, Mar 13, 2010.

1. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Hopefully your email had a virus attached.:clapping:

Anyone working that cheap should be beat to death.

2. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

you should see what the stump grinding market has turned into. 4-6 exchange students in a rusty, single cab pickup carrying axes, picks, shovels, and tecate...haul the stump down the road, roll it off into a ditch. I always wondered why there were so many stumps along the roads! I have friends with Mexican ancestry that HATE the illegals for that very type of work ethic. $25-$30 to remove a stump is ridiculous.

3. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

I flip flop on the whole fly-by-night/low-ball guys, I generally care less but sometimes they really annoy me. Lets be honest, a large part of the market doesn't really care and uses these guys. Those customers are not fun to deal with and for the most part they deserve what they get. I also get a kick out of guys that I would consider a low-tier/low-ball contractor complaining about other scrappers when you are in the supply yards or equipment dealers. If nothing else they provide entertainment and contrast how good the contractors that care are. I do try to stay out of the mud and work for people that care and want good quality work but it can be frustrating.

4. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

I like your attitude more and more.

5. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

Some day I hope the money part will catch up but at least I know I'm giving the clients my best.

6. bearmtnmartin

bearmtnmartin LawnSite Senior Member

Well, last summer I was working on the same job as a guy who was working himself, a Morooka tracked dumper, a mini ex and a 5 ton dumptruck......all for 45 dollars an hour. The homeowner told me what he was paying and suggested that I was going to need to give him a break.($85.00 an hour plus a move for my SK650). I said no deal. lol. I stayed and did the job at my full rate that I never drop for anyone. If that poor sap had stuck to his guns even a little bit, he would have doubled or tripled his money, and still got the work.

7. westcoh

westcoh LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alberta

It's amazing the ads you can find on craigslist/kijiji. I think each one of them is trying to undercut the next craigslist ad, and rates of $45/hr are not uncommon. I remember one ad saying since he was new and had no insurance or taxes to pay he could pass the savings on to his customers. . .Some guys just don't get it.

8. AEL

AEL LawnSite Bronze Member

Lmao! And i bet he got a lot of phone calls too...

In all seriousness if you do a good job and stand behind your work, you will get the best type of advertising-word of mouth. :weightlifter:

9. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The problem with these guys that with cut rates also cut corners when it comes to safety.

10. Bleed Green

Bleed Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Amen to that. I fully agree with you. Sounds like you are a conservative guy like me and my family.