What is it with people these days?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by IN2MOWN, Apr 1, 2008.

1. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Ive had a customer for 8 years now. All the way back to the beginning. She has a small yard, probably around 5000 sq ft. In 8 years I have only increased her rate ONCE. She pays $30.00. I think thats a heckuva deal. Ive been pretty good to her.

Last year she had some limbs come down so I dragged them out to the curb and called my tree guy to come over, chip them up and take them away. He charged her $50.00. The pile was about 3 feet tall and 5 feet long. Pretty reasonable if you ask me.

She complained about the price. Said it was outrageous to pay that much. I explained to her that the cost of doing business AND the cost of living goes up every year but we all still try and be fair with our prices. She pissed and moaned about but in the end paid.

Just this past winter the city salt and sand trucks were out weekly. The sand had gotten very thick in her street gutter and some leafs were getting piled up also so she asked me to shovel it out and take it away. I did it this morning and left her monthly bill on the door with an additional $20.00 charge.

VERY fair if you ask me. I shoveled up about a wheelbarrow full of sand.

I get home from work only to find a message on my machine asking me if I thought I had really earned that extra $20.00!

I just about blew a gasket. I have been more then fair to this lady over the last 8 years and she has the nerve to complain about $20.00?????

I called her back and as polite as I could be gave her a crash course in running a business and economics in the 21st century.

She told me she would pay it but to skip the next 2 mowings.:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

Im seriously considering calling her in 2 weeks and telling her to find someone new. Im tired of this constant talk she gives me about me nickel and diming her to death.

Am I overreacting or are people just plain stupid? I know times are tight and everyone is trying to save a buck but cmon!

2. Blueribbonlawns

Blueribbonlawns LawnSite Senior Member

I lost a client for charging them a $4.00 trip charge when i came to do their power raking, i unload the trailer and get in the lawn and then he comes and says he dosent want it done after i drove all the way across town to do it!!:hammerhead::laugh:

3. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

That's what I would consider doing, or even letting it wait till the third week and let her phone up wondering where I am, she will likely be skipping weeks all the time now, over grown = more money. She won't like that too much.

4. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

i would drop her like a bad habit!!!

5. flhntr

flhntr LawnSite Member

when she calls back in two months raise her price and let her get new estimate with todays prices

6. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

She would not be one of my customers anymore. I would call her back and tell her to find someone else to do the mowing cause you won't be mowing for her any more.

7. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I would say get rid of her. The only other option would be to tell her since she has not been happy with your prices except for weekly mowing that all you will do for her is cutting. Just my opinion.

8. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

I think Im going to wait a few weeks and and then call her to let her know I wont be servicing her yard anymore.

I treat my customers pretty good but Im tired of listening to her complain about paying me for doing extra things when she takes a months vacation to Europe or Austraila every winter.

9. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

They dropped you over $4 stinking dollars. That Sucks! .....Did they pay you the $4?

10. daysel

daysel LawnSite Member
    from TEXAS

I think you should tell her how it is just like your telling us. There's nothing wrong with putting it all out on the table.
    Sometimes people need a reality check. Especially if your going to drop her anyways. Who knows, she might come to.
    I use to do all the little extras to this one yard I had just because she was cool and the yard was nice. Then the ***** dropped me for 5 bucks to some mexicans.
    Live and learn.