1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What is it with people this year...VENT!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nobagger, May 10, 2007.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

We took on a few new properties but it seems that was a big mistake! I have never had this many PITA'S EVER! "when are ya coming", "you said you would be here today what happened" (pouring down rain), You said it would be this much why is it more (2 extra yards of mulch needed). I have never considered the fact of getting rid of any customer's but it looks awful tempting. It got so bad I changed my message on my cell/business phone from a nice greeting saying some quick basic services and the usual leave a name and number to a very assertive don't ask when we're coming type message. Sorry just had to get it out, cause' the wife is tired of hearing it from me.lol Hopefully everyone else is having better luck.
  2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

No-bagger, you can avoid these problems by not giving them a "day" and letting them know you have to keep your schedules flexible when you sign them. Let them know that they will be bumped down the line in the event of rain and you will mow them in their turn of rotation when catching up after a rain.
    Also, if you give a price on so much mulch and it turns out you need more, you should always get approval before going ahead with the work. That is how it is done, you don't spend clients $$ without an ok.
    I think you will find that clients will always ask when things are not perfectly clear to them or they have not been told in advance, what the situation will be and how it will be handled.
    I do not believe you problem lies in PITA clients but in your lack of communication and explanation with them.
  3. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

By the way...when ya showing up? Im with nobagger on the "why didnt you show up" during a freaking tropical depression. That is one thing I'll never understand! lol
  4. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

The problem more than likely stems from them seeing all the moron's mowing in the pouring down rain. We had a guy mow a complete lawn across from one of ours, while it rained buckets, and buckets. (Could be the reason we picked a new account? nah... couldn't be) So they want to know why we don't do that? We won't tear up a lawn like that, that is why. Quality first always! Later, Tony
  5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I told a customr I would be at the property first thing the next morning. When I turned my phone on at 730 am, I had a message from the customer. She called at 658 am wondering where I was. And this was a residental property, not a commercial one. :dizzy: :hammerhead:
  6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

yeaaaa I had a lady call me wondering where I was.....

I told her I wouldn't be cutting her lawn today... she then ask why

I then informed her it was raining outside...... she then said you mean you cant cut in the rain.........

I really didn't kno what to say.... other than NO
  7. Ravenwood Landscaping

Ravenwood Landscaping LawnSite Member

It's interesting about charging for more because you estimated wrong. I'm pretty sure the law in Maryland is that if you misquote, it's your fault and you can't charge more unless you and the client sign off before the work is done. The flip side is that it's also in the law that if the customer accepts the quote and you do the job faster or cheaper than estimated, you get the extra money. It's led to me overestimating on every job by 5%.
  8. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

have some of the same problems myself....some people dont get it.
  9. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

If that was a new account calling me before 7:00 am asking where I am, I'd fire her butt on the spot. All that account will be is a pita. It's one thing if a customers turns into to one over time, but straight from get go.....no way am I putting up with that crap.
  10. NMS0219

NMS0219 LawnSite Senior Member

I've got 3 new PITA's can't wait to dump them.