What is it worth?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kingenterprises, Sep 29, 2004.

1. kingenterprises

kingenterprises LawnSite Member

Have an opportunity to buy the following. What is it worth in your opinion.

Hustler Z, 23 Kaw, 60 Inch Deck, 345 hours, New 7/15/02. Belonged to a local LCO. Mower is dirty, needs blades, possibly belts, oil and other fluid change, but appears to be in decent shape otherwise.

NOTE: I will be buying a no warranty machine with 345 hours on the gasoline engine.

I appreciate your feedback.

King Enterprises

2. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

IMHO 345 hours is just bearly "broken in". Being "dirty" and needing oil change & belts, that is just REGULAR MAINTENANCE stuff. As long as the oil & filters have been changed REGULARLY, shouldn't be a problem.

I'd look and see what a NEW one is going for and then work back from there. I'd say $1500 off new price would be reasonable for 345 hours.

Mike

3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

A 23HP Kawi is not big enough for the Hustler 60" deck. A 25 HP is still under powered. Been there done that, still have the 25 HP. Hustler has speed but not enough torque for tough mowing area's.

Gene

4. kingenterprises

I appreciate the feedback. Any more observations will be appreciated. Although I can buy the mower for what I consider a bargain, I don't want to arrive on a machine that is under powered.

Thanks

King Enterprises

5. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

1- Anyway to find out any service history? Even if it's just invoices like filter receipts etc.
    2- Are you able to do an oil analysis just to check on the motor. Hows the oil look...level good?
    3- Check the spindles? Free wheel em and see if their still straight.

12-1500

6. kingenterprises

I can do all that. The machine is at a local tractor dealer where I have bought 2 new holland tractors. The Hustler Z was bought there new. I'll check the service records.

The oil was pretty dirty but did not smell burnt. I'll ask my salesman for a service history in print.

I will have to check out the spindles. FYI, Dealer is asking 4K.

7. slicklawns

slicklawns LawnSite Member

A 23 HP on a 60'' deck is underpowered. Why is he selling?

8. kingenterprises

Mower was traded in on a Super Z at the Local dealer. Owner was a local LCO. He bought the mower new 7/02.

THX

Kevin King

9. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Well 4k is a bargain. But a 23 on a 60 is alittle underpowered. Tall or thick grass is gonna bog it.But if there are good service records i would probably have to go for it.