What is it??

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bntt68, Apr 19, 2006.

1. bntt68

bntt68 LawnSite Senior Member

Hi all. I have a customer that I walked through the step to put in a new lawn after It died off last year. He used all turf type tall fescue with a little kentucky blue. He ran out of seed, went back and they were out of urf type tall fescue so he picked up a bag KENTUCKY 31. YUK. Could you guys tell me if this is just taall fescue or a weed. The picture also has the turf type on the left. It looks like crap in his yard.

DSCF0169.JPG

DSCF0170.JPG

2. C.T. Lawn Care

C.T. Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Yup... you got some fast growing TALL Fescue!!! Enjoy!

3. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

all that money on trying to have a nice yard and he had a STUPID attact.

4. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

if it that tall you might try a pipe wick with round up, that way you could just kill the TF and save the desirable grass!

5. bntt68

Pipe wick?

6. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

It looks more like quackgrass. Quackgrass has clasping auricles where the leaf blade meets the stem. Even if it was fescue, chances are the plants came from root pieces or seed in the ground. It is unlikely it came from the seed he purchased.

7. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

Was there any straw used ? You may even have some wheat that germinated as well. If so, it's just a matter of time until its short life-cycle is over and it will be kaput. But it does look like K-31.

8. bntt68

Yes , he did use straw!! From a farmer he knew. What do you mean by its just a matter of time?? Will the whole lawn go kaput or just the nazty stuff? Thanks Brent.

9. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

its a 1" plastic pipe with a rope wick coming out the bottom, you fill it up with round up and drag it across the undesirable grass or weeds. you can usually find them at a farm supply store.