What is it?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by razor1, Sep 8, 2007.

1. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I found this "plant" in the garden. I let it grow because it didn't look like your typical weed. What is it? Thanks.

IMG_2656.jpg

2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

When was this photo made? What type of fruit formed at the base of the bloom? Can you make another photo of the bloom with the fruit/vegetable? I have a good idea but need a little more info. That background flower is Rosemary.
    Roy

3. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I hate to ID a weed from a picture....but I am almost sure that it looks like Jimsonweed!

Break off a leave and smell it or your hands. If it is real offensive and strong I am sure thats what it is!

This is a deadly weed if injested. People make tea out of it and smoke it and then die. "They" claim it is the best high, then they die!

That is just a guess though as pics can be hard to decide with no info about the plant available!

4. RAlmaroad

from SC

Exactly--If there's spiny fruit at the base of the flower and if you burst it and it downright stinks--Bingo. Pick those burrs and burn them...It will grow again.
    We have them here...Also. On second thought, pull them up now before the fruit ripens. Roy

5. razor1

Does this pic help? The photo(s) were taken today and this one is up close from the inside. I'll be sure not to smoke it and get rid of it.

IMG_2658.jpg

6. RAlmaroad

from SC

Yep--just as I though. Jimsonweed! Pull up the plants before those seed pods ripen and open thus dropping their seeds for another year. Roy
    Those things are about the size of a golf ball. Can you imagine how a horse felt when some SOB thought it was funny to put one under the saddle of a foe.

7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Around here we call it a Moonflower. People PLANT them. They really are quite pretty and the flowers only open at around dusk (hence the name). Yes they are prolific self sowers, if you don't want more next year either keep the seed pods pulled off or yank the plant before they mature.

8. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Yep.....that's definitly the ol' Jimsonweed.

What do you think of that odor? Is that a nasty smell or what?

9. razor1

Stinkweed is dead, ripped out by the (huge) root today. Wow that thing grew fast. :weightlifter: