what is just too small for big decks/engines

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bagit, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Bagit

Bagit LawnSite Member

A couple days ago i was coming out of a res. area. I made a turn and could see ahead of me a big billowing of dust. As i got closer the picture became clear. Sixty inch deck, 25hp or more hustler w/no mulch plate, idiot on seat going as fast as he can, postage stamp size yard. This is no joke though, there was ALOT of dust and dirt flying. There was a woman walking on the other side of the street that was waving the dust w/her hand. Atleast around here anyways, some of these idiots have to be giving lawn care a bad name. Ahhhh, i feel a little better now.. Oh, $10,000 machine, no $40 mulch plate, idiot. If i were the homeowner that mow,blow,go operation would be mow,blow,get off my lawn and don't come back.
  2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Mulching doesnt fly around here. Nobody mulches because the grass is so thick, lush and deep that it just simply doesnt work or produce a nice cut. When its very dry out I to have been that one blowing dust all over the place. I hate it but have no choice but its never on an entire yard. Normally its just 1 or 2 spots that will stir up the dust. We also do not bag period. Way to much hastle to sit at the dump for an hour every evening to unload the clippings plus they charge LCO's to dump grass. Time and money= we would have to charge alot more to bag lawns and nobody is willing to pay it.
  3. I'd never put a 60" deck on someone's lawn.
  4. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

I never bag anything either. I guess I am lucky I have 2 60" mowers one that mulches everything up real fine then I raise the deck 1/2 inch and make it dissapear on the second pass totally. If the lawn is extremely wet with 4 inches of sticky growth then I have the option of mulching it once and side discharging in the opposite direction or side discharging first and mulching the second pass either way I have a combination of setups that work well. You know that Hustler has a great mulching kit that does a fine job of chewing up the clippings, I just used a 66" demo yesterday and it was a good as my Exmark ultracut deck with the mulcher. If I side disharge I put on the gators so as not to stir up so much dust etc.
  5. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

Some lcos think that bigger is better- "hey, look at me".

Dedicated 21" routes are money makers and soon , that account will be with a lco that has his business cap on.

6. MSS Mow

MSS Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

Me either.

Nothing smaller than a 72".
  7. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

In really dry conditions, even mowers with mulch plates on them blow up clouds of dust.
  8. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

The only account that doesn't get my 60" deck is a cul-de-sac lot with fenced in back yard. The front is so small (probably 600-700 sq. ft.) and the back is fenced in. Now mind you, I don't have the dust flyin' like that guy. But, I can cut with my SuperZ just as pretty as somebody else's 21", and I'm back home a whole lot quicker.:)
  9. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

I don't know about how everyone else does it. But if I have a customer with a dusty dry lawn I turn up the water, or tell them to set the sprinklers to water the day before I mow whatever it takes. I don't eat dust anymore those lawns have all been weeded out....I like green not brown. I feel for you guys that have to deal with droughts etc. We rarely have water shortages here.
  10. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

As wet as it's been, where is there any dust left in Virginia? :laugh: