What is killing this tree?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by minix, Aug 10, 2010.

1. minix

minix LawnSite Senior Member

I have a few trees that are over 1/2 dead - eaten by something. Could anyone help me to find out what going on and how to handle it befor these trees die? Thanks so much.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

What is eating the tree .... an insect.

3. minix

I kinda knew that much but I would like to find out what and how to handle it .

4. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

It looks like you will have to use your Spidey senses, whip out the cape and investigate a little further

The pictures are not good enough to tell really, can you get one from a little further back so that we can see if there is a pattern

are they still actively feeding? can you get a shot of the pest causing it? It looks like an Oak but difficult to tell
    Or those bag worms, again can't tell fron the picture, its something hanging from the tree

5. Kiril

Are you sure it isn't Sasquatch?

6. minix

Ok Ill try to get better pic but there are no pest to be found just what looks to be old cocoons with a dryed up lillte worm in it . It seems to be eating 1 side of the tree only.

7. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

bag worm, by the time you see the damage its too late. Remove all pods before the eggs hatch next season. Make sure you dispose of them (not on the ground) You can also spray with a insecticide.

8. minix

Thank you for your reply

9. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

The one pic does show a bagworm although it looks to me like a carcass from last year (it is already tied on the twig and is dried out.) The leaves seem to have too much eaten to be from bagworms (deciduous trees not being their food of choice). Also bagworm larvae eat leaves starting at the edges. Some of these leaves have holes in the middle. So maybe we can rule out the bagworms for most of this damage.

When you say the trees are dying, do you see signs other than the leaves being eaten? Can you list the trees for us? I know the site from your pic but I can't remember what trees are there. Also, can you tell us when this damage occurred and over what length of time?

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Could be .... or maybe aliens .... hard to tell. :laugh: