What is killing this tree?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by minix, Aug 10, 2010.

1. minix

minix LawnSite Senior Member

What stress out ground cover? It may be a dumb question but I have to ask. Some of the ground cover dosent even get prunned and its still looking bad and its been there for years.

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

There are general factors that all plants are susceptible to (water, competition, nutrients, soil structure, etc...), then there are genus/species specific issues. What type of ground cover and do you have pics of it?

3. Andover Landscape Co.

Andover Landscape Co. LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Lexington,KY

That's the smartest post in this thread....

4. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

Are we going to stagger into the reasons of insect attack is attributed to stress hormones sent out by trees, plants, and grasses during periods of stress.???? Is it natural selection that one tree is singled out over a grove of thousands or maybe one particular tree in a city block?? The darn insect is hungry and your tree was in their path to the food bar. Japanese beetles are and were bad this season. They completely devoured my neighbors fruit trees, ornamental pears, maples, and apples.

5. Kinz

Kinz LawnSite Member

It looks like a Norway Maple tree. Spray the tree with Malathion after you pick off as many of the bags as you can reach and burn them. But spraing them will do the same thing. It will kill the insect inside.

6. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

Be careful giving advice out of your geographic area. Here in Northern Ohio, the bagworms have finished eating, have thick bags, and have tied themselves on for the winter. Anything sprayed on the tree will be wasted. And I know of no chemical which will penetrate the bags now.

(Note: it has never been confirmed on this thread that the damage was in fact from bagworms.)

7. Kinz

Kinz LawnSite Member

It's also strange that this bagworm is in that tree. Bagworms are usually in evergreens like Leyland Cypress and other plants like that. Sometimes a few might come over to another plant, but not in great numbers. And yes, I guess I should have clarified that the bags need to have the caterpillar inside in order for it to be killed. Spraying an empty bag doesn't dooo much good. Bacillus thuringiensis is a good natural insecticide and Orthene is a good chemical control.

8. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

Yes, Kinz, you are right, I suggested that bagworms are not usually found in damaging numbers in the deciduous trees we have here. The preferred homes here are arborvitae, junipers, and some spruces. And not to belabor the point, but those leaves showed damage (e.g. holes in middle) that didn't look like they came from bagworms. I would differ with you on the one point. I have not seen an insecticide that will penetrate aged bags of the current year.

9. Kinz

Kinz LawnSite Member

yeah, you're probably right. I guess catch'em early is the best thing.

10. bdoeden

bdoeden LawnSite Member

As others have said those are bagworms. I've only seen them on evergreens in our area.