1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what is low ash oil????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by milo, Jul 4, 2006.

1. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

a dealer told me to run low ash oil in my kohlers. he also told me to run 30 weight... my question is, is castrol 30 a low ash oil????? or what is a low ash oil? what brands?

my kohler was ticking and i stopped and he heard it and drained my oil and put in 2 quarts of some oil (it was in a barrel) and he told me to start and guarnteed it would not tick and he was right no noise since and told me always, always run a low ash oil and straight 30 weight and he said the engine will run for 4000 hours
    so i need to know all low ash oils.. thanks people
  2. alwaysgreener

alwaysgreener LawnSite Member

3. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

:clapping: Thanks very much for the link:drinkup: I love that good tech stuff.
    I happen to ride an ancient Virago I saved from beneath a shade tree:laugh:
  4. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

arnt kolers supposed to have only 10w-30? or is that just the smaller 1 cyl command
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Wow, real interesting how Amsoil has almost no ash and zero zinc while all the rest have a LOT more... I always wondered why amsoil claimed to be all that, I will be giving them more consideration in the future.

I run 10w-30 synthetic blend in all Kohlers, no questions asked.
  6. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

All you were hearing is lifter tap from a collapsed lifter. Alot of Kohlers do that and it wont harm them any. It comes and goes and may not return for a couple months then BAM tapping again for a couple minutes then goes away again.I have tried all kinds of oil and non of them made any difference.