1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What is more important name or service

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FFMED74, Feb 22, 2004.

1. FFMED74

FFMED74 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Here I am again asking silly questions, LOL. I have a simple one today, which is better name brand equiptment or good service. I am looking for the new front line mower line for Straight Way Lawn Care and some of the brands(exmark, hustler, dane) you all mention aren't very close to me, but there is a store who is close that has great service on what they sell. They have ferris and I know a lot of guys like the other brand they have, scag. What would you do? I don't here Ferric a lot when brands are mentined here? Why is that? They seem like very good equiptment, just a little high in price. TY all for your input.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

ferris is a sponsor up top
    they have a great product but there seem to be more exmark dealers than ferris so more people buy and use more exmarks
  3. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I know a guy that was in business and all he used was Ferris he loved them.They may cost a little more.
  4. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

Price + after sales service = Value for money
    ...I dont care whether it is a Ferris, Exmark, Encore or whatever brand
  5. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

Service will always sell.
  6. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

what would you accomplish owning a name?......you better get some service!
  7. tx_angler

tx_angler LawnSite Senior Member

Just like the last three posts said: SERVICE

That goes for YOUR business too: If you provide better than average service folks will find your name!
  8. FFMED74

FFMED74 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

That is what I am leaning toward, it just seems that some folks are dead set on their product line and that is all they see. I have within 10 minutes of the house 2 ferris dealers, 1 scag, 1 JD and 1 toro, I think. Now within 30 minute I have a lot of other dealers. My thought was that the closer best dealer with a good product beats a su[erior product 30 minutes away, just too much down time on the drive, imo.
  9. Grass Master

Grass Master LawnSite Senior Member

Check out the JD riders if you have a good dealer nearby.

There is nothing like the parts/service support you get from John Deere!!
  10. FFMED74

FFMED74 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I have heard that the service is sub standard from others...don't know. Had a dealer in another area of town tell me that too, they both sold ferris, but the dealer way north of me said he would take his stuff to another ferris dealer not the deere/ferris dealer. I don't know. Trying to seperate the wheat from the chaff!