what is mulch?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by tawilson1152, Jan 13, 2004.

1. tawilson1152

tawilson1152 LawnSite Member

I tried a few searches but probably didn't ask the right question. I'm wondering how mulch is made. Is it made from dried wood or green wood then dried, is it treated with preservatives or insecticides? I've been making mulch for my own use with a pto mounted chipper and looking for information. In 1 hour of hard labor I probably can make 3 yards so I'm not gonna be putting any suppliers out of business, but I got the chipper and I got the trees so I was just wondering

2. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

You are making chips, not mulch. BIG difference. Mulch used by landscapers has little or no wood fibre content. It is mostly bark. It is not wise to use chips as mulch for many reasons.

3. tawilson1152

Thanks. I use the chips to level out trails through the woods and was wondering if it had any other practical uses.

4. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Playgrounds. :)

5. tawilson1152

"Playgrounds."
    That's an obvious answer, but you know, I'm glad you mentioned it. I have a campground with a small playground covered with sand which will look great covered with chips. I was thinking of trying to get some grass to grow on it, but didn't even think of using chips. I was hesitant to ask such a stupid question, but now I am glad I did.