What is need to convert FC420V to electric start?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by zz4guy, Feb 29, 2008.

1. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a 15HP Kawasaki FC420V from a scag 52" wb that I want to convert to electric start.

I've already bought the starter but need to know what I need for the flywheel. I need the one with starter teeth on it but do I need a stator on it as well? And a regulator? Also, could I still use the pull start cover w/a electric start flywheel?
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

The parts needed depends on whether you want to convert it properly so the battery is re-charged while mowing, Or you want to charge the battery with a charger every couple days (depending on number of starts each day).

The flywheel cover will go over the electric start flywheel but you will have to cut a area out of the side of it to clear the starter.

Engine spec numbers would help with parts pricing;

Flywheel, $122
    Stator, $74
    Regulator, $66 to $97

Best thing to do is try locating a blown electric start engine and rob the needed parts off it.
  3. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Rob. The engine model is a FC420V-CS09 number FC420V147745

So it looks like I will need to locate a regulator, ring gear and stator. Where does the stator fit? Does it bolt to the toothed ring gear?
  4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

It mounts under the flywheel, There is provisions for mounting. You may want to get the correct screws for mounting as well.
  5. CharlieNH

CharlieNH LawnSite Member

I'm also interested in converting my FC420V to electric start. Could anyone who is familiar with this process give me a quick list of components I need and what I need to do. I don't care about the battery recharging. Is it just a different flywheel and the starter? Where does the starter mount? Thanks for any advice.