what is pendimethlin?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bobbygedd, Apr 11, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

what is it, what does it do? i was crying to this guy i know (unlicensed, uninsured, has no clue what he's doing, but been in business 22 yrs) about the price increase in dimension. he said he went to the chemical place, asked for the cheapest pre em, and they gave him pendimethlin for $15 a bag (dimension $27). what is this stuff, is it any good?

2. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Pendimethelin, or Pre-M as it is known, has been the industry standard for crabgrass/summer annual control for a number of years prior to dimensions coming on the market. It is cheaper tha Dimension, by a couple dollars per bag if you buy in volume, though it can leave a nasty yellow stain on cement/ clothes/ pets(especially white pets ;)

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Another name for it is Prowl it's a pre-emergent for broadleaf weeds and sedges,
    BobbyG don't you know how to do s search on your computer for stuff like that??

4. bobbygedd

from NJ

i'd rather get a reply from you.is it good for crabgrass? why is it so much cheaper than dimension? i paid $27 for dimension this year, he claims he paid $15 for this other stuff

5. SodKing

I believe Dimension is more expensive because it is still under patent. Pendimethelin is excellent for crabgrass and early summer annuals. I rotate every other year between Pre-M and dimension. Dimension also offers post emergent controls for early stage 2 crabgrass where pendimethelin does not.

Bobby, Where the h*ll are you buying your dimension! I paid $12.32 per bag earlier this year and even after the price increase I am paying under $14.00/bag?

6. nitrotim

nitrotim LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Keep it off the concrete if you use it. That stuff will turn white concrete yellow orangish quicker than Sh111. Make sure you blow it off and not try to rinse off.

7. bobbygedd

from NJ

i buy my stuff at pride landscape. i get lebanon i think it's 19-5-10 or something, 50 lb bag=$27.50

8. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Hey Bobby
    Flooded in NJ and tired of fishing off you back porch? gotta come in here and fish? Keep us on our toes :dizzy:

9. SodKing

Do you have a Lesco near you. I have been using 19-0-6 w/.1% dimension for better than half your price.

10. bobbygedd

from NJ

i don't believe i have a lesco dealer here